Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do your drs recognise antenatal depression as a real thing ?? (depression in pregnancy, you may have another name for it)

I had it with ds but was told it was normal until i had him then they decided it was PND/PPD

This time ( i am 27 weeks) i told them straight away that i had it, i could just feel it but ive only just got the support i need

anyone else have experience of it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have chronic depression (all the time), but it got significantly worse during pregnancy. I had to have an increase in my medication. It was actually around 27 weeks when I needed more meds. I'm sorry your doctors haven't been more supportive. It's a very real problem.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
I had ante-natal depression. The PND support org is actually called Post and ante-natal distress something, although it is really unusual that you are diagnosed with it. I read that mums get ante-natal depression at the same rate as PND, it just isn't talked much about. I got a lot of support through that org, anyways, and they got me a counselor who had had PND (not ante-, but at least something).

I had to push to get put in contact with that group, though.

I was the loneliest mama-to-be in the world, and the worst thing anyone could say to me was "You must be so exited!".

I tried so hard to find someone else, as weird as me...

The flipside for me? I was on a high for the first month after DD was born, nothing could get me down (until she lost weight at 4 1/2 weeks, and a whole different struggle started).

It is usually worse in the first trimester and hormone-related (like PND), and if I remember right there is a 50% chance that you will get PND if you have AND, and the chance is a lot less if you have counseling.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Boy did I have it. I was a wreck my entire pregnancy and then it continued into nasty post-natal depression that took a long time to come out of. In my case, it manifested mostly in severe anxiety and obsession about complications.

My providers did not recognize it even though I kept telling them that I thought was more worried, anxious, etc. than I should be. Way more!

I will definitely watch carefully for it when we do this again. My Dr has already recommended that I stay on my antidepressant (I got it about 6 months after DS was born and have been on it since) as a means of heading this off since I have a huge family history of biochemical depression.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.