Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that's what the US said- someone mentioned that could be why I am not feeling a lot of movement, even though on the US I could see it. Anyone have any info? I tried to google it but came up with less than helpful information
TIA

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep, that could be why. I had an anterior placenta, and I didn't feel a ton of movement, either. All it means is that the placenta is towards the front of your uterus, it doesn't cause any problems that I know of. It took quite a while before my DH could feel the baby move, too. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
My placenta is anterior now too. Peanut recently moved to transverse, and the placenta is anterior, so I don't feel as much movement. The reason you're not feeling as much is that the placenta is between the baby and your tummy, so it's absorbing all those sweet little kicks.

ETA: Having an anterior placenta is not a problem, they only worry if it's down low near the cervix. Also, you can tell where the placenta is because it feels hard

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mamas!
It makes perfect sense now! Oh and boy do I feel better! I was getting kind of panicky about the lack of movement! I could feel my other 3 so well at 20 weeks so this is wierd. I do feel some movement, but it's lots less. You'd have think they would have mentioned that! Oh well, they did say my placenta was high and there were no problems with it's placement.
to all!!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
My placenta is anterior, and I felt hardly any movement at 20 weeks. Now, at 25 weeks, I feel all kinds of movement! And today I even SAW the baby move. Now THAT was cool

I don't know if the placenta shifted, or baby is just that much bigger in relation...I think I still have a "blind spot" where I feel very little movement, but everywhere else, it's very apparent when he's movin' around.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
The baby on my right has an anterior placenta (Baby A) while Baby B has a posterior placenta, and I can say that I felt Baby A move almost four weeks later than I felt Baby B.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
My placenta is anterior now too. Peanut recently moved to transverse, and the placenta is anterior, so I don't feel as much movement. The reason you're not feeling as much is that the placenta is between the baby and your tummy, so it's absorbing all those sweet little kicks.

ETA: Having an anterior placenta is not a problem, they only worry if it's down low near the cervix. Also, you can tell where the placenta is because it feels hard

My little one is also transverse. It makes for some strange movements. I will be glad when she flips.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
And today I even SAW the baby move. Now THAT was cool

Ah, those Alien moments. Nothing freaks out your non-baby-having friends like seeing your belly jerk around on it's own!

This baby has settled into the same position it's sister lived in for months - the same kicks to the same spot. At least it's not my cervix!

Llyra - are you getting u/s frequently b/c of all the action you've been having?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've had anterior placentas with my first pgcy and with this one. I didn't feel movement until much later than I did with #2 and #3 with this one. Oddly, it didn't seem to affect movement much with #1. At 24 weeks, I'm feeling movement just like any of my other ones, though. If you're plus sized, it can make you less likely to feel the smaller movements.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post

Llyra - are you getting u/s frequently b/c of all the action you've been having?
I've been having one brief scan (about 10 minutes) every month, to get measurements and follow their growth, and to measure my cervical length. I'm told this is the "standard of care" for multiples, whatever THAT means. I've also had two unplanned u/s when the contractions were at their worst, to see if they were changing my cervix. The OB worried that doing a manual exam would only aggravate the contractions, and we needed to know whether they were productive contractions or not, because I delivered my son prematurely never even knowing that I was in labor until a few minutes before he was born. So far I've had 6 scans, I think. It's a lot, and I worry about it sometimes, but honestly it's really reassuring to be able to see that they're all right in there.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had an anterior placenta with DD, but this babe's placenta is in the back. I definitely feel this baby move MUCH more than I ever did with DD.

The only other "issue" I had with my anterior placenta last time was that it made it harder for them to get good readings on the Non-Stress Tests because the placenta was muffling the sound of the heartbeat. It was also the reason we dended up not having an amnio when they thought they might need to induce me at 34 weeks. The Doc didn't want to pierce the placenta.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra
The baby on my right has an anterior placenta (Baby A) while Baby B has a posterior placenta, and I can say that I felt Baby A move almost four weeks later than I felt Baby B.

Stupid question: How can you tell whether you are feeling Baby A or Baby B? My baby (assuming it is just one) is moving all over --- I have no idea how I'd be able to differentiate between one baby or another if there were two. Are twins more "locked" into one position than singletons?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post

Stupid question: How can you tell whether you are feeling Baby A or Baby B? My baby (assuming it is just one) is moving all over --- I have no idea how I'd be able to differentiate between one baby or another if there were two. Are twins more "locked" into one position than singletons?
In my case, the twins are in separate sacs, with a membrane between them, and one is very clearly on the left, and the other on the right. Twin A is A because she's a bit lower down, closer to my cervix, so she'd be born first if I delivered vaginally.

I don't get any movement at all in the middle, just on one side or the other. And they've been head-down and pretty fixed in their position for awhile now. It's a lot more crowded in there-- the movement feels more like what you get at 34 or 35 weeks with a singleton. So it's pretty clear which one is moving when they move. It's weird, too, because I'm always comparing them-- Baby A is WAY more active than B most days, but every once in a while, B will kick A's butt for a day or two.
Literally, I'm sure....

I have a great u/s pic of A kicking B in the head, which B tries really hard to squirm away.

I would guess that with twins in one sac, or twins in a less clearly defined position, it would be pretty hard to tell which baby you're feeling.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra
I have a great u/s pic of A kicking B in the head, which B tries really hard to squirm away.
SO CUTE! That's your girl, huh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts