Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this one diaper that always stinks. No matter what I do to it. It's a hemp AIO that I made. I don't know if it's the hemp or what. I have other hemp diapers that don't stink. Anyyyways...I took it off DS yesterday and it was seriously over-powering. I couldn't put it in the pail like that. And rinsing it didn't help much, so I left it in a sinkful of hot water with some liquid soap tossed in. I let it sit for a while and then I wrung it out and put it in the pail. I didn't smell AT ALL at that point. So I'm wondering...is anti-bacterial hand soap safe for CD's? Has anyone tried this? Any downsides? The diaper is in the dryer right now (after going through the regular diaper wash) and I'm going to put it on DS today and see if it smells a little better after he pees in it. If it does, I'm going to keep using the soap unless someone here can give me a reason not to!!!

Update: I put the diaper on DS and he only got to pee in it a little before he pooped, but when I changed him I smelled NO nasty ammonia skank. Only poop.
Before, I would've smelled the diaper from across the room even if it just had an ounce of pee in it. It's an AIO and it's one of my favorites to go out because it's so trim an fits under all his clothes. But lately, I've been too embarassed to use it in public, it was *that bad*. And now I can use it again. Woot!

My only concern is that the soap says, "contains light mousturizers". There's no telling what that might do to a dipe. I'll just use it on this one diaper for now to see if it's harmful at all. And I'll update again if it's a problem. As long as I'm not talking to myself, that is.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
wow. that's a good idea. no clue if it's bad for dipes. let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes! My daughter's diapers were smelling not so pretty after I left them in the dryer and forgot to turn it on. They sat most of the day and rewashing them didn't get the musty smell out. I thought maybe it was bacteria so I squirted a shot of anti-bacterial into the washer, washed on hot and rinsed twice. They smelled fine after that.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I never thought about using antibacterial soap on hemp. I did have very stinky hemp Joey Bunz a few years ago -- they were so bad that as soon as he peed it smelled disgusting. So I washed them in bleach (which I almost never use on anything) ... one bleach wash did the trick and they never smelled again. Maybe hemp allows bacteria to get trapped in it easier than other fibers--and doesn't always get throughly washed?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I would think if you were only doing it once in a while it should be fine. My only concern would be if ds skin would react to it(he has super sensitive skin), but if he didn't I would prorbably do it. Maybe someone can chime in if it does something to the dipes??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts