Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my sister is giving a persuasive speech to her college class against circumcision. I told her I'd help her, since I'm the one who got her started in her anti-circ thinking. (She knows she's against it because I'm so opposed, but hasn't done her own research to come to the same conclusion yet. I bet she will be after doing the research for this speech!) She's got 5-8 minutes and needs to use Microsoft Powerpoint (computerized slide show, for anyone not familiar with the program) to do her presentation. She'll also need to give her speech off of an outline, if that matters to you at all.

I think the best approach to organizing this speech is going to be to "debunk" the common myths that many/most/all of her classmates believe. Maybe one myth per slide? I also want to help her find (or create) a good handout packet full of information to keep.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Please help me brainstorm a list of myths to begin our research. I'll edit the list as you add ideas.

Myths About Circumcision:
- cleaner, easier to care for
- prevents diseases
- doesn't hurt the baby because anesthesia is used and they won't remember it anyway
- medically necessary for whatever reason; healthier
- look like Daddy; locker room teasing
- "everyone does it"
- if you don't get it done as a baby, they'll have to get it done later anyway
- doctors wouldn't do it if it wasn't beneficial to the baby

Also, if you have any particularly good ideas, links, facts/information, quotes, etc. for things to mention about any of these myths, please add them. I'm especially on the lookout for credible sources to use for information. As much as I enjoy reading blog entries, opinions on parenting boards, etc., I think more credible sources (she needs to use at least 6) would be best. (On that topic... Where can I find the statements from the AMA, AAP, WHO, etc. on circumcision?)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The kind of presentation you described reminded me of this website. It was made by feebeeglee. It has all kinds of great links too! The position statements of all the medical associations are there on the right.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
As a former member of my college speech and debate team, I can tell you that circ is a HUGE topic and one that doesn't lend itself so well to a short speech. The temptation is there to try to shove every last argument into the speech and that's the wrong approach - in eight minutes, speaking at a rate that people can understand, you're not going to be able to cover much ground. What you need to do is plant the seeds so that maybe people will go out and find out more information on their own.

I personally would try to shape a speech around three main points, and have a handout of resources for further information. Start off with something dramatic as an introduction to grab attention, like a picture of a baby boy strapped to a circumstraint and screaming in agony. State that routine infant circumcision is one of the most common surgical procedures done in the US - a million baby boys are cut every year - yet it is not done out of medical necessity.

I would make the three points:

1) No medical organization in the world recommends routine infant circumcision for medical or hygenic reasons. The US is the only country that cuts a majority of its baby boys without a religious justification.

2) Circumcision is painful and traumatic.

3) The foreskin is a necessary and healthy part of the body. (Elaborate on its innervation and function.)

Conclusion - if the foreskin is a necessary part of the human anatomy and there is no compelling reason to perform surgery on newborns, then we shouldn't circumcise baby boys.

She can speak from an outline but her slides shouldn't be her outline - there's nothing more annoying and distracting than a speech that says what everyone can read for themselves on the overhead!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quirky
As a former member of my college speech and debate team, I can tell you that circ is a HUGE topic and one that doesn't lend itself so well to a short speech. The temptation is there to try to shove every last argument into the speech and that's the wrong approach - in eight minutes, speaking at a rate that people can understand, you're not going to be able to cover much ground. What you need to do is plant the seeds so that maybe people will go out and find out more information on their own.

I personally would try to shape a speech around three main points, and have a handout of resources for further information. Start off with something dramatic as an introduction to grab attention, like a picture of a baby boy strapped to a circumstraint and screaming in agony. State that routine infant circumcision is one of the most common surgical procedures done in the US - a million baby boys are cut every year - yet it is not done out of medical necessity.

I would make the three points:

1) No medical organization in the world recommends routine infant circumcision for medical or hygenic reasons. The US is the only country that cuts a majority of its baby boys without a religious justification.

2) Circumcision is painful and traumatic.

3) The foreskin is a necessary and healthy part of the body. (Elaborate on its innervation and function.)

Conclusion - if the foreskin is a necessary part of the human anatomy and there is no compelling reason to perform surgery on newborns, then we shouldn't circumcise baby boys.

She can speak from an outline but her slides shouldn't be her outline - there's nothing more annoying and distracting than a speech that says what everyone can read for themselves on the overhead!
: ITA

Bombarding people with too much info would become overwhelming and turn them off. Simple, key points(elaborated on within themselves) would probably be most effective.

Maybe she could put one of the slideshows of an actual circumcision on th PP and just kind of get it flipping through while she speaks?

Here is a link to the health orgs that you were looking for.
http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/

And here are a couple to some circ slides.
http://www.intact.ca/vidintro.htm
http://www.cirp.org/library/procedure/plastibell/
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/methods.html

Good luck,
Tara

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.