Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my 15 month old daughter has an ear infection in her right ear only. The ped prescribed an antibiotic but I'd really prefer to let this run its course. She had an ear infection once before when she was 4-5 months old and it cleared up without antibiotics. Is there any 'natural' remedy for ear infections? I'd like to help her out as much as I can. Oh yeah and she is breastfeeding still, although her stuffy nose isn't letting her nurse all that peacefully. I did a quick search and couldn't find much(I hope I'm in the right forum
).

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it, and so would Grace

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, interesting, no she did not mention what kind it is. She just looked in her ear and she said the one ear looked fine and when she looked in her other ear she said that it wasn't 'moving' like it should when she puffed the air in it. And I think she said it was a bit red too. Should I call them to find out what kind it is? The prescription she gave me is for amoxicillin and it's supposed to be taken for 10 days(!), yikes! I thought they didn't do that long a course of antibiotics for anything anymore...

·
Registered
34 Posts
there are middle ear infections and swimmer's ear (not just from swimming), ect...
I get swimmers ear atleast 3 times a yr from allergies... plus with Asthma my immune system is lower. Whe i get that you can use drops. And take garlic. But when I've had a middle ear infection the only thing that worked was the antibiotic. You have to be careful. you don't want a pus pocket burst is the ear drum that can be dangerous. I'd call and ask for more info.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that link BusyMommy, lots of info there. I guess I'll call to find out what kind of infection it is tomorrow, I kind of assume it's a middle ear infection though, because of the eustacian tube thingy... She's sleeping much better tonight so I'll just continue to keep a close eye on her. Thank you both for your help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was just wondering did you suspet an ear infection and how? My dd is also 15 months old and is just getting over her first cold. I just wondered is it something I would know for sure because she would be crying?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
the last time my ds had an ear infection i gave him hyland's earache tablets. i didn't actually take him into the doctor, but he's almost 3 so he can tell me, kwim? he was rubbing on his ear, saying it was "crusty," and he had a cold. i gave him one dose of the hyland's and it was gone.

the box says if you don't see improvement like in 48 hours or something, to go to doctor. also if the ear is draining.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by texas_matka
I was just wondering did you suspet an ear infection and how? My dd is also 15 months old and is just getting over her first cold. I just wondered is it something I would know for sure because she would be crying?
She started with a runny nose on Sunday and couldn't sleep for the first night, but seemed alright during the day. Then by Wednesday she seemed to be getting crankier and hit her ear a couple times so I suspected something. Grace is really never cranky, at least not in an inconsolable way, so I knew something was wrong.

I called the ped and they said it is an inner ear infection. We'll see how she goes... I massaged her ear today and she seemed to like that, I need to get out to buy some garlic and the hyland's though. She had a real good sleep last night but she's been a little touchy today so we'll see. Thanks for the help mamas!

·
Registered
25 Posts
argh- ear infections.
: this i have much expierience with. here goes- ds#1 and ds#2 both had tubes by thetime they were 1yr old. my boys have heads round like bowling balls
and they don't drain well till older and lengthen out. we were detwrmined NOT to get tubes with ds#3- and we're about to celebrate his 1st bday much to docs own suprise with healthy ears-WAHOO! He did hav einfections early on that we only once handled with the dreaded antibiotics. the next time around we used Grapefruit seed extract, ear coned as preventative when getting bugary, and the main thing thathelped ds with ear difficulties is wonderful wonderful garlic oil (warmed always!) We used Herbs for Kids brand that was only 8.99/bottle and also has willow bark in it. It was almost instant pain relief. NOw for some ear nitty-gritties: although antibiotics are almost always prescribed fo rinfections, 80% of ear infections are viral not bacterial! grrr! they basically run their course in *gasp* 7-10days anyway. if this is a trend, you may want to invest in and learn to use one of those ear scopes (the name escapes me) but you could keep an eye on that ear drum to be safe. HTH. Garlic oil! Garlic oil!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, just wanted to give an update. We got the hyland's earache stuff and also some hylands cold plus c stuff and started giving that last Thurs(one day after we found out about the ear infection). That night I also started doing the garlic oil. I crushed up a garlic clove and heated it in some oil, then tried to suck up only oil(no garlic...) into a little syringe thingy and then I dripped a drop or two into my daughters ear while she was sleeping. Worked like a charm! She never even woke up! I knew I didn't stand a chance if did it while she was awake... So we did that along with the hyland's for three days and she progressively got better so I felt pretty confident that she got over it. She was pretty cranky still and in the last couple days I noticed that she was hitting her ear sometimes although she didn't appear to be in pain. Anyway, I decided to just get her checked again today to be sure and it turns out she's perfect! She's probably hitting her ears now because she's got some molars coming thru(don't ya just love how it all seems to happen at once...), either that or maybe she was telling me about how her ears hurt last week, I dunno.

What was cool though is that when we went to the doc today she said: "Good for you for not doing the antibiotic right away. Most parents go right for it, but there's so much research to suggest ear infections will often go away on their own. Good for you!" That made me feel good
Thanks for the support and suggestions mamas!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mami,

Glad tp hear your dd is doing well and that the natural remedies worked and that you sought them out. Good for you!

Happy Mama,

Thanks for your post. I am going to stock up on some garlic oil/grapeseed extract just in case. Did you use both or one or the other? My dd is starting to attend Sunday School so she is on probiotics and she eats a lot of Vitamin C any other preventative measures would be great. or knowing what to do if something like this happens to us. TIA

Nita
Rozalia 8/23/2003
Baby 5/17/2005

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.