Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to establish if there is any link between pregnant mother taking antibiotics or receiving them during birth and reflux.
I was diagnosed with B-strep during pregnancy and received antibiotics during birth. My son had silent reflux that went undiagnosed for months.

Is my idea totally off mark or do I have something here?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janelovesmax
I'm trying to establish if there is any link between pregnant mother taking antibiotics or receiving them during birth and reflux.
I was diagnosed with B-strep during pregnancy and received antibiotics during birth. My son had silent reflux that went undiagnosed for months.

Is my idea totally off mark or do I have something here?
we have been wondering the same thing exactly

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have never thought of that, my dd has silent reflux too and wasn't diagnosed until 6 months. I don't think we were ever on antibotics?? I had a very "medical" birth unforunatly. Pitocin, epidural etc... vaccum and epis.?? I have sometimes felt like all of that *may* have contributed to the reflux?? It was enough for me to decide on hopefully a natural birth next time. I had high BP and we both had fevers when she was born AND her heart rate was really high (over 200) during parts of labor and I almost had a c-sec. Just some thoughts??

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My dd had reflux but was diagnosed pretty early thanks to a doctor who was willing to listen to me. I was on antibiotics for about 10 days for a respiratory infection when I was 5 months pregnant. I never thought about the two being linked, probably because my husband has reflux and his stomach valve doesn't close all the way.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
I have never thought of that, my dd has silent reflux too and wasn't diagnosed until 6 months. I don't think we were ever on antibotics?? I had a very "medical" birth unforunatly. Pitocin, epidural etc... vaccum and epis.?? I have sometimes felt like all of that *may* have contributed to the reflux?? It was enough for me to decide on hopefully a natural birth next time. I had high BP and we both had fevers when she was born AND her heart rate was really high (over 200) during parts of labor and I almost had a c-sec. Just some thoughts??
Hmm, I was induced as well. I know, that sucks, too bad I didn't know anything about anything at that time. So, maybe that's a connection...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I never had antbiotics while pg with my dd. I did end up with an epidural in an attempt to keep my bp down through labor. She had silent reflux until she was 3 and still has problems at times at 4.5. With my ds I was on antbiotics for several weeks thanks to a sinus infectin that would not clear up. He has been on Zantac and can spew across a room since he was a couple weeks old. He is now 8 months on a maxed out dose of Zantac and could still hit the far wall in a room when he spews, but it usually doesn't hurt him when he spews thanks to the Zantac. Important point with all of this is stomach problems run in dh's family.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
In my not-professional opinion
, I think there's a connection just from the standpoint of the fact that antibiotics totally mess with the flora of your gut, which can allow for you to develop leaky gut syndrome, which then could lead to a whole mess of issues. Have you seen the "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread in Health & Healing? It might give you some more answers to what you are dealing with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts