Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies-

I hope everyone one is doing well. I wanted to see if anyone has taken anti depressants while pregnant in the past and how their expirence was. I'm 16 1/2 weeks pregnant and today my doctor decided to put me on antidepressants because the last few months have been incredibly tough for me physically and it has worn on me mentally and emotionally. I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum where I basically have sever morning sickness and can't keep anything down, currently taking 5 different anti nausea medicines a day several times a day/ night. It helps some but not enough to function on a normal level, I've had to take a leave from work because of it. In addition I suffer from chronic migranes that have been what feels like 1000 times more intense during pregnancy I now get them a few times a week and the last anywhere from 8-48 I'm limited to what I can take because I'm pregnant, the nurlogist said we might have to do a daily preventative which of course is also not pregnancy safe to help control them as I've now had a pretty consistent headache or migrane for the past 4-5 weeks. If anyone has expirenced being on a anti depressant while pregnant or is on one can you please give me your feed back same for migrane preventatives. I'm worried about the baby being ok especially given how much medication I'm already taking. Dr doesn't seem to concerned but I am. I'm the grand scheme of things I think it's a good idea happy mama= happy baby. Right now my body and mind are just worn out and beyond stressed which I think will have a negative impact on my baby especially if this continues.

·
Registered
633 Posts
No advice or experience, but remember that your mental health is very important too.

I "saw" a friend go through postpartum psychosis and it was horrible (for all that she was in the hospital for a long time and her mother gave very little information because of we don't talk about mental health). Birth was the trigger, but cutting out all her psych medications during pregnancy just because was also a strong contributing factor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that your mental health has to take precedence, do what you need to take care of you.

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I too suffer from depression and anxiety. I stopped meds right before I got pregnant, and I went to my dr and she gave me different anxiety meds, but I'm freaked out taking any while pregnant. I've started taking daily magnesium, from a recommendation of a co-worker for the past four weeks and I feel normal again, and I'm amazed how much it's helped.

Good luck, friend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts