Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD1 was admitted to an adolescent psych hospital last night due to self-harm and suicidal thoughts. Today I got a message from the nurse saying the doctor wanted to try her on prozac.

My concern is mainly the warning about antidepressants in children causing more suicidal thoughts. If she's already suicidal that seems like possibly a bit of a problem. KWIM?

I found some info saying the only antidepressant approved by the FDA for use in children in prozac. My concern about that particular drug is my family history. My aunt, my father, and my nephew were all on prozac at one point. Each one of them became extremely violent after being on prozac a few days. Can side effects be hereditary?

I'm going to talk to the doctor tomorrow too. But wanted to get some opinions and thoughts before then.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to send some (((hugs))) to you, your family, and your daughter.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
My DD1 was admitted to an adolescent psych hospital last night due to self-harm and suicidal thoughts. Today I got a message from the nurse saying the doctor wanted to try her on prozac.

My concern is mainly the warning about antidepressants in children causing more suicidal thoughts. If she's already suicidal that seems like possibly a bit of a problem. KWIM?

I found some info saying the only antidepressant approved by the FDA for use in children in prozac. My concern about that particular drug is my family history. My aunt, my father, and my nephew were all on prozac at one point. Each one of them became extremely violent after being on prozac a few days. Can side effects be hereditary?

I'm going to talk to the doctor tomorrow too. But wanted to get some opinions and thoughts before then.
Well, I was on prozac for depression and anxiety once and the side effects for me were suicidal thoughts... I got worse after 2 weeks and only then did I need hospitalization. It's different for everyone, though...

The FDA scares me with what they will approve, so I can't help you there. But at least if you absolutely need to medicate her, it's there when you need it and it doesn't have to be a permanent thing.

My 10yo dd is going through a hard time right now too, and I am looking into natural healing. Maybe once you get dd's symptoms under control, you can bring it up with her doc - if you think it's something you want to try, you know?

Just do what your mama instincts tell you and it'll work out.
:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am so sorry your family is going through this.

I would definitely notify the doctors of the family history, and if you do decide to try it, keep careful watch for side effects. I took Prozac for several years, and it worked well at first, but after about 6-7 years did not do as well for me, so I am now taking Effexor XR.

I will pray that your DD finds some healing soon.

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
*If* you decide to try her on it, can she remain as an in-patient for awhile if you're worried about extreme agitation/violence?

I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through this rough time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't think I would rule it out as a possibility, but my concern is that she was just admitted last night. I would want to find out more about where she's at, what her emotional/mental/spiritual state is in before I would just jump to meds.

I would start looking for really good counselors, try to find someone she really feels comfortable opening up to.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think you are right to be concerned and keep a VERY close watch over her (preferably keeping her inpatient care) if you decide to try the meds.
I have struggled with depression for years and self-injured from age
14-17 I was inpatient once for suicidal thoughts/self injury, and they put me on prozac. It didn't make me 'worse' but wasn't helpful, either (for me.)
The self-injury is a very commonly misunderstood aspect of the depression and takes alot of work to overcome (like an addiction, for many of us) So if that has become habitual for her (or even before it does) I suggest doing some research to understand (if you haven't already) Read "Bodily Harm" by Conterio & Lader and recommending it to any councelors who work with her.
I know this was a littl off topic, but hopefully helpful in some way. feel free to contact me privately. Best wishes.

-Lia

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd forgotten about this thread.

Thanks for all the help.
I spoke with the doctor at the end of last week and we decided together to try her on Celexa instead. That's what I'm on right now and having good results, so he felt that would bode well for her reaction. She was sent home yesterday. I would have prefered she stay longer to be really sure the medication isn't going to cause problems. But, oh well. She has an appointment for outpatient therapy this afternoon at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.