Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I plan to pull my son (1st grade) and daughter (kindergarten) out of public school during Winter break.  I have looked through masses of websites and can't find directions on how to do this in Pennsylvania.  I know that since my daughter is only in kindergarten I don't need to officially home school her yet, but I'm still not clear on how to pull either one of them out. Thanks so much for any advice or links.</p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>When I pulled my kids out of public school here in Ohio I had to find the place that took the notification letter. You might be able to find it all online without calling anyone.I could print out the form and mail it,but I took in in person to the office. Then they either rejected it or sent a letter accepting it. I got rejected once over my curriculum list.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sometimes the super for your school district does the homeschooling stuff.For my area it was the county. Let me see if I can find mine to give you an idea.Here we go and you can see the home schooling form link to the left:</p>
<p><a href="http://www.mahoningesc.org/" target="_blank">http://www.mahoningesc.org/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Not sure if this could help;</p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;"><strong>PIKE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY</strong>, 201 Broad Street, Milford, PA 18337, 570-296-8211. Pike County Public Library has three branches located in Milford, Dingman Township, and Lackawaxen Township. We offer an education/homeschool section with books, pamphlets, and other information of use to parents and students. The library has computers for Microsoft Office and Internet use, as well as printers and a copy machine. Families could also sign up to be a part of the free programs offered at the library, where they could learn, have fun and meet other homeschoolers to form lasting friendships. Visit <a href="http://www.pcpl.org" target="_blank"><span style="color:#0066CC;">www.pcpl.org</span></a> for more information or call the main branch at 570-296-8211</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#000000;">If you can not find someone local to help I would email the school district stating you are a homeschooling family and  need the forms/place to file your homeschool notification.</span></p>

·
Registered
260 Posts
<p>spend some time looking around askpauline.com - it will explain exactly what you have to do - it is by far the best website for homeschooing in PA.  you can also find some info. on the PA Homeschoolers website and the HSLDA website and the CHAP (Christian Homeschoolers Association of PA site - even if not Christian, it gives general info.)</p>

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks so much.  I spoke to a wonderful woman at the department of ed and she laid it all out for me.  It is very simple.  I just drop a letter of withdrawal, and affidavit, and a list of objectives to the superintend int and I am done!  I can home school as soon as I file.  I got a sample affidavit and objectives from askpauline.com.</p>

·
Registered
260 Posts
<p>yup.  and now keep doing research to be sure that you are clear on the requirements after withdrawing......keep attendance, log/portfolio, eval. at end of year, etc.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts