Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would welcome advice to help us encourage our 5 mo old DS to sleep more soundly.

Alex has always been a light sleeper (like his mommy and daddy).
We tried having him co-sleep in our bed with us at first, but that didn't work because we all wake easily and our bed is not very big. So we tried a bassinet and then a crib sidecar arrangement in the early weeks, but he was nursing so frequently that he often ended up sleeping much of the night in our bed (which still didn't work). We got an Amby bed and he has slept in that, next to my side of the bed, for much of the night since he was 2.5 mo old. The Amby bed is supposed to work for babies up to 10 months or older, but my DS is incredibly long, so we had to say adios to the Amby bed this weekend. We are now back to trying the crib, this time about 5 feet from my side of the bed. The first night, he woke up about 5 times. The second night (last night), he only woke up twice. However, these last five months of sleeplessness are really catching up with me and I need to try some new solutions.

I have read and implemented several of the ideas from No Cry Sleep Solution. It has helped us to get into a wonderful, effective bedtime routine. DS goes to sleep happily around 7-7:30. The issue has to do with staying asleep between the hours of midnight-6:00 or so. To complicate matters, I went back to work a couple of weeks ago and am away from DS about 6-7 hours per day. He will only drink about 6 oz of expressed BM during that time and now seems to want to nurse a lot between midnight-6:00.

I am just torn because I want to attend to my DS's nighttime needs but I am a zombie during the day. I need to regain balance so I can be a better rested mommy for him.

If it worked to have DS in our bed with us, I would do that, but it just doesn't work. Also, DH tries to comfort DS during the night, but DS wants mommy!

I would really appreciate any gentle advice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IMHumbleO: It sounds like DS is having issues with you returning to work (no guilt trip intended).

I vaguely remember some suggestions from the Sears book on working and BFing. Have you tried making sure you give DS a LONG nursing session in the morning and again as soon as you reunite? He might just be trying to "catch up" with you. Try wearing him as much as possible when you are together. Also, is there anyway that you can nurse him during the middle of the day???

I can't remember all of the tips, but try www.askdrsears.com for some help.

You might also try x-posting this under BFing. Some of them might have some tips for you. Some sleep issues actually result from stuff that happens during the day.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts