Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,
We've also looked for AP friendly peds in MD and here's who we've found:
1) Dr. Patricia Armstrong (301-879-3650): She's very casual and personable, and pretty much anti-vac, though she will vaccinate on request. In fact, she'll use a topical anesthetic so your kid won't be traumatized. She seems unfazed by my AP parenting, and is used by many of the AP moms I know. Unfortunately, I think she may be a bit too casual. When I went in complaining of bladder pain, she didn't even take a urine sample -- just mis-diagnosed me! (My midwife was much more thorough..) I really like her, but am having doubts.
2) June Fusner & Nancy Hoover, Kensington Peds: My sister and many of my friends LOVE Nancy Hoover, and avoid June, saying her bedside manner is not great. Both trained under Iona Razi, a very well respected holistic ped in Georgetown, and both use alternative remedies in addition to allopathic. Both supportive of AP.
3) Iona Razi: She has a tiny, very personal private practice in Georgtown in the basement of her townhouse. She's the most respected, and well-known alternative ped in the area, and only takes newborns! Call her for an appt. when you're pregnant.
4) Helen Tsitouris: I do not recommend her, though she's commonly rec'd in the alternative healthy community. She has given both my sister and me terrible bf and other advice. She's very nice, but seems inconsistent in her areas of competence.
Sorry I don't have most of their phone numbers. They should be easy to google.
Good Luck!
Nan

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
We're patients of Dr. Sears-Dementhon. Normally her web page is http://www.searspediatrics.com but it was down a few days ago. She's in clarksville, 301-854-1008 . She's a DO, but likes homeopathic and herbs/supplements instead of or in addition to allopathic medicine. She is alternative, but not AP per se. If you ask her for parenting advice, she might for instance talk about at 4 months starting to get your child used to sleeping alone unless you're interested in cosleeping for the long term. I am pretty comfortable with my parenting choices, so I really don't ask for advice. (or I ask here!) I will say in response to sleeping through the night questions with "she wakes to eat several times at night, but it's really not a problem for us" and she's fine with that. So she's supportive but not necessarily a total proponent of all things AP. Most of her patients do sling a lot, for instance and are BF. So she can be helpful about developmental differences (not much crawling, and a weight plateau at about 1 year seem to be common in her patients.) We're happy with her, but she's a one woman show. She's usually been on time for appts with us, but if she's out of town, sometimes you have to deal with a conventional doc as her backup. That's fine once you're confident enough to know what you want to do. She has admitting at Howard County. Her backup docs and the hospital on our occasional ER visit have not given us a hard time about not vaxing. So if you want an AP maven, she's not it, but she suits us very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts