Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is just that...are there any stores in/around Portland that might sell a cool sling or even, dare I wonder out loud, a mei tai?

Any suggestions welcome! We're likely taking a little overnight trip down there tomorrow (15/16th), and would love to find something cool while there.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I know Mother Natures has a couple of slings and cloth diapers, but I'm not sure what kind or how many slings. Her address and phone number is:

Baby Products & Services

2627 SE Clinton
Portland, OR 97202 - 1240
(503) 230-7077

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
molly: most of the stores i know of have just the usual maya wrap, new native, ergo carriers, kind of carriers. I was at Mother Nature's a few weeks ago and she carries Mayas (ring slings and pouches), Moby Wraps and New Native pouch slings.

Generations on SE Hawthorne (around 40th) carries New Native pouch slings, Chic Papoose pouch slings, Baby Bjorn carriers.

Milagros Boutique on NE Killingsworth at 30th carries Mayas (ring slings and pouches) and Ergo Carriers and lotsa diapering supplies and soft soled shoes at good prices. They also have some resale.

I PMed you my phone number if you wanna chat or grab some tea or something.

~claudia

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Fairies and Frogs at Fremont and 14th/15th sells some handmade pouch slings, not sure who makes them. Ditto for Wild Child, at Alberta and 14th.

I have an awesome LIKE NEW mei tei (Lily's been in it twice)for sale if you want it: $25. It's blue "rocket kids" fabric, from babyfairies.com. And I'm at 12th and Ainsworth.

Sarah

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, we only got a chance to go to Mother Nature's. Lovely store, we bought some Kushies.
But the only mei tai-ish carrier they had was the Ergo. As nice as I'm sure the Ergo is, as soon as I saw how many clips and buckles it had, I nearly hyperventilated.
I'm just not that into clips and buckles!

So I talked to the owner for a LONG time about mothering.com, about mamatoto.org, and maybe I opened her eyes to a less high-tech (or as I see it, American) way of carrying babies...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Well, we only got a chance to go to Mother Nature's. Lovely store, we bought some Kushies.
But the only mei tai-ish carrier they had was the Ergo. As nice as I'm sure the Ergo is, as soon as I saw how many clips and buckles it had, I nearly hyperventilated.
I'm just not that into clips and buckles!
OMG, the Ergo rocks! I have a bad back, and once Sprogly was over about 14 lbs, it was the only carrier I could use. When I got used to it, and then tried a Kozy, I couldn't deal with not having the buckles. (Only 2 of them, unless they've changed it.) I love love loved my Ergo. Sprogly lived in his until he was about 10 or 11 months.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes, I'm sure it's faboo! But when you start to sweat just putting the padded fabric on and try to figure out where all the buckles go...it's a clear sign that sling isn't coming home with you.

There was also the matter of the 92 buckaroo price tag...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Oh yes, I'm sure it's faboo! But when you start to sweat just putting the padded fabric on and try to figure out where all the buckles go...it's a clear sign that sling isn't coming home with you.

There was also the matter of the 92 buckaroo price tag...

Then again, I could put mine on in a fraction of the time it took me to put on a moby-style wrap. Have they changed it, I wonder, maybe added more buckles or something?

I paid less than $92 (ouch!), but I bought it directly from the Ergo site.

I'm selling my virtually new Kozy (black, with pocket) for $45 OBO, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
the only thing they've changed (i think...) is that they added a comfort belt with a safety stretchy loop. and although still expensive, we got ours for $79 from a friend of mine who wholesales them here locally in the portland area.

~claudia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi! New to MDC- first post. This may be a little delayed, but I thought ya'll might want to know that someone at the Saturday Market is selling some kind of wrap/back carrier. I'm not sure if it's a Mei Tia (hum...I know I'm spelling & pronouncing that incorrectly). Her tent was near the skidmore fountian. Thought you might be interested. BTW- I love my Ergo- use it daily. I admit it was intimidating to load up for the first few weeks, but now it's a sinch.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by august girl
Hi! New to MDC- first post. This may be a little delayed, but I thought ya'll might want to know that someone at the Saturday Market is selling some kind of wrap/back carrier. I'm not sure if it's a Mei Tia (hum...I know I'm spelling & pronouncing that incorrectly). Her tent was near the skidmore fountian. Thought you might be interested. BTW- I love my Ergo- use it daily. I admit it was intimidating to load up for the first few weeks, but now it's a sinch.
Thanks, august girl!

And
!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by august girl
Welcome!

Just wanted to let people know an interesting fact about the Portland Saturday Market. The market on the side of the max tracks AWAY from the river is not actually the PSM. It is the Skidmore Market. At that one they sell things that they have not made personally. The one of the side of the Max tracks by the river is the PDM and everything there is made by the person selling

So which side is it? Do we have a sling maker in PDX? That would be cool!

V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
She was on the side closest to the river (East of the fountian.) Very near the fountian, facing the train tracks. So I guess she would have crafted them. She had a little one (about 12 months probably) sleeping happily on her back while she conducted business.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think I know who you're talking about... she was there last year, just for like one weekend, right before I found out I was pregnant. Then when I went back the NEXT week- she was gone, so if anyone catches her, could you please pick up a card? I will plan on getting down there, but you know how plans go....

·
Registered
921 Posts
I know which lady you are talking about as well. Oh and btw they aren't always in the same spot from Saturday to Saturday. Her slings are sort of like the JMaxx ones you can find in some retail stores. They have draw strings through the rails to help tighten them. And she does make them herself. She also has these terrific diaper changing pads that roll up like travel totes.

N~

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
OOOh I am so going to have to look for her booth next time we go! anyone catch how much she charges? I am in a big need for a MeiTai style carrier with my almost 30lb one year old!
Is anyone on this thread part of the NWnaturalmamas yahoo group?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts