Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding my stash of fractions of yarn balls is growing by the day, and I think Megan is getting tired of me sending them to her daughter to throw around the house...

What do you do with your leftovers? Save them? Throw them away *gasp*?
Make clever multicolored quilts?

~Dev

·
Registered
632 Posts
at LYS a gal there came up with a cool idea, she takes all her scraps ties um together (so the knot is about 1" from the ends) then knit um all into a big scarf. i think she called it a hobo scarf, but its so cute and ytuo can combine all types of yarns

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2devils_1angel
at LYS a gal there came up with a cool idea, she takes all her scraps ties um together (so the knot is about 1" from the ends) then knit um all into a big scarf. i think she called it a hobo scarf, but its so cute and ytuo can combine all types of yarns
CUTE!
I will try that!!!
You could also wad them up and felt into a wool ball for kiddos?

Or maybe knit an afgan?

felted something or other?That way the joining wouldnt matter and it would look cool.
maybe use for ties in a quilt?Like where you just tie peices of yarn through it between squares?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That scarf sounds pretty cool! Since 75% of my yarn is pink I bet it'd be cute

Felting is a good idea too, except I use a lot of cotton yarn (wool allergy)... I do have some wool though, so I will try it with what I have!

~Devon

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I've seen hand-tied yarn at a LYS - it was selling for a fortune. So, you're on the cutting edge of knitting fashion! :LOL

You could also use it to make knitted balls, which are fun gifts. Depending on how well you stuff them, they can be nice sturdy balls or very bean-baggy. Talia
the ones I made her out of Noro Kuryon yarn. LTK has a pattern, which I bought; but, I ended up writing my own anyway because I wanted one knit in the round. I'd be happy to send you my copy of Theresa's, since I have not used it, nor will I; or I could post my own in-the-round pattern. (No offence against Theresa, I love her patterns
But, I was searching for a seamless pattern, and it wasn't clear from the description that it was a two-needle pattern.)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be awesome... I have been wanting ot make wool balls. Bean bags are a good idea too if you're not sure how much yarn you have, because you can just keep knitting a rectangle til you're out, then sew up the sides.

~Dev

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
tboroson You could also use it to make knitted balls said:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/love.gif[/IMG] the ones I made her out of Noro Kuryon yarn. ...I could post my own in-the-round pattern.
Ooooh, if you would post this I would think you were a total rock star!

·
Registered
701 Posts
If they're acrylic, I'm sure warm up america or project linus would love squares for blankets. I know WUA wants 7x9 "squares" - any pattern. You can send just the pieces or you can seam them all yourself.

Someone on WW was talking about how she keeps a charity drawer with things like dishcloths, socks, mittens, scarves, quilt squares, etc that she knits and then pulls them out when needed. I may need to do that soon.

~amey

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I was just looking through the latest issue (summer 2005) of Interweave Knits & they have a pattern for little mini-teddy bears. I knit my cousin a pair of booties for her new baby & am going to attempt one to put on the gift.

I'm starting to get lots of odds & ends & was thinking about a scarf too.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama
I made a patchwork soaker out of mine. It looks AWESOME!!
I have been wanting to do this too!Only with stripes

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angstmommy
I am knitting mine into strips and then weaving them into this tapestry/rug thing.......... should be interesting.
Ooh! Ooh! Yes! Knitty Gritty had a show with a rug made out of the oddly knitted tubes (you create the tube by knitting every-other stitch and slipping the ones you don't knit). That would be adorable.

Pattern

FreeRange, you KNOW you have to share pics, right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy! I know I don't post here very much (understatement!) but I read every day. Just had to repsond to this thread with this link I ran across for using us yarn leftovers.

I already have three fish done and I just found this last night! :LOL

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Here's a greatYarn Ball Pattern. If you have *really* short scraps of yarn, you can use them to stuff said yarn balls, too.

I have to plug a charity I'm involved with, though: it's called Children In Common, and its purpose is to send warm wooled knitted items (mostly socks and vests) to orphans in Eastern European orphanages. It's very, very cold inside the orphanages, and the children don't have many warm clothes, so every pair of socks or vest we send helps warm another child.

CIC does request that all knitted items (with the exception of toys, which are also needed, but not as much as warm clothes) be at least 50% wool (or other animal fiber), and the higher the percentage the better. So this is really only a good option for those of you with wool oddballs.

I love making socks for CIC because they are small (less than six inches long in the foot) and take almost no time at all (I can make one, and sometimes even two, in an evening). You can combine your scraps and make wonderfully wild-colored socks; you can experiment with new stitches/patterns, or you can make plain vanilla stockinette-stitch socks. And any size you make will be used -- until they wear out! -- by somebody.

There's a Yahoo! Group devoted to CIC knitting, if anyone's interested. Feel free to PM me directly, too.

Whatever you do, have fun getting creative with your scraps!
~Nick

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I group all of my scraps together by colour and fiber content. For example, recently I discovered that I have way too much blue and green acrylic or mostly acrylic worsted-weight yarn. I threw all of the odd balls into a bag and am crocheting an afghan, changing colours whenever I run out of the yarn by randomly grabbing another ball from the bag. If I like how the afghan turns out, i stash it in my "off to charity" box. If I don't like it, i give it to my parents for the animals or to the SPCA for the dog kennels.
With wool scraps, i make hats and such for Children in Common or Dulaan. Or just gifts. Or striped soakers.
Scrap sock yarn is being saved up to make one crazy pair of knee socks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts