Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,245 Posts
I've seen hand-tied yarn at a LYS - it was selling for a fortune. So, you're on the cutting edge of knitting fashion! :LOL

You could also use it to make knitted balls, which are fun gifts. Depending on how well you stuff them, they can be nice sturdy balls or very bean-baggy. Talia
the ones I made her out of Noro Kuryon yarn. LTK has a pattern, which I bought; but, I ended up writing my own anyway because I wanted one knit in the round. I'd be happy to send you my copy of Theresa's, since I have not used it, nor will I; or I could post my own in-the-round pattern. (No offence against Theresa, I love her patterns
But, I was searching for a seamless pattern, and it wasn't clear from the description that it was a two-needle pattern.)

· Registered
6,245 Posts
I finally went looking for my yarn ball pattern (thanks to a prod from Devon
I'm such a slacker, I'm sorry...)

Anyway, Ack! I can't find it in my notebook! I know I wrote it down...

Ok, here's what I remember. It was very simple, so if this isn't exactly what I did, it was close
You can make a larger ball by doing more increase and decrease rows.

CO 6 stitches.
Join and Kfb in all stitches (12)
*K1, Kfb* to end (18)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (24)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (30)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (36)
K 4 rounds
*K1, K2tog* to end (30)
K 1 round
*K1, K2tog* to end (24)
K 1 round
*K1, K2tog* to end (18)
*K1, K2tog* to end (12)
K2tog to end (6)
Bind off. Thread yarn through bind off stitches and pull this aperature tight.

Fill ball from cast on aperature and then stitch that tight. I found that almost anything I filled the ball with would work it's way out through the stitches, so I found two solutions to this:
1. Stuff the toe of a stocking through the hole, then fill the stocking with the filling material. Tie it off and tuck it into the hole. Or,
2. Wet the wool, then throw it in the dryer with a wet load of laundry to felt it a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.