Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fantastic! SO MANY great ideas!!! I would love to knit for that charity, hope I have enough wool for some hats!

I recently bought 100 Afghan Squares to Knit by Debbie Abrahams, I may use some of my scrap yarn to try out the patterns.

Thanks again, and keep them coming!
~Devon

· Registered
389 Posts
my mom uses all her leftover yarn to make hair scrunchies. She just buys some of the nice covered rubberband type hair bands and stitches around them. Honestly I dont know how she does it (I dont crochet/knit) but I love them and have had sooo many complements on them. I have also seen patterns for decorated flip flops....Walmart I know has a free pattern for them. I think the yarn is tied on? not sure. Wish I could yarn craft too there are soo many neat things out there Id love to make! Atleast I can sew right?

· Registered
632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by devonc
How do you do that around the hanger/hair tie? Crochet?
Its basically a crocheted i cord. dependant on how ruffly you want it, you just adjust your first chain.
like on the hangers i did for dd before she was born.
on f hook I used bernat coordinates. (shiny stuff so pretty but icky squeky acrylic)
I chain 6 then join making sure the wire is in the "tube"
to join sl st. ch1,
sc 5 sl, ch1
repeat for desired length.

some of her hangers i wanted a bit more ruffly so i ch 11.

dh's gma knits hers flat then sews then together around the wire.
but you could also do a large i cord around the wire too.

the hardest part with knit or crochet i cords arond the wire is accidently tangling the extra yarn around it, because it does feel clumbsy

· Registered
8,707 Posts
i like to make little "faerie bags" i just tie all of my scraps together and knit them up into a little bag and put bells and a long braided string on them. elwynn has one i made when i was pregnant with him that i put little sopecial things into for him for when he gets older. each one has a story, its kinda neet.

also its fun to make crazy hats and scarves

· Registered
6,245 Posts
I finally went looking for my yarn ball pattern (thanks to a prod from Devon
I'm such a slacker, I'm sorry...)

Anyway, Ack! I can't find it in my notebook! I know I wrote it down...

Ok, here's what I remember. It was very simple, so if this isn't exactly what I did, it was close
You can make a larger ball by doing more increase and decrease rows.

CO 6 stitches.
Join and Kfb in all stitches (12)
*K1, Kfb* to end (18)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (24)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (30)
K 1 round
*K1, Kfb* to end (36)
K 4 rounds
*K1, K2tog* to end (30)
K 1 round
*K1, K2tog* to end (24)
K 1 round
*K1, K2tog* to end (18)
*K1, K2tog* to end (12)
K2tog to end (6)
Bind off. Thread yarn through bind off stitches and pull this aperature tight.

Fill ball from cast on aperature and then stitch that tight. I found that almost anything I filled the ball with would work it's way out through the stitches, so I found two solutions to this:
1. Stuff the toe of a stocking through the hole, then fill the stocking with the filling material. Tie it off and tuck it into the hole. Or,
2. Wet the wool, then throw it in the dryer with a wet load of laundry to felt it a little.

· Registered
2,875 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amy739801
Howdy! I know I don't post here very much (understatement!) but I read every day. Just had to repsond to this thread with this link I ran across for using us yarn leftovers.

I already have three fish done and I just found this last night! :LOL
OK, better late than never...I was finally ready to start on some fish & alas the link keeps coming up as an error!! Do you have a working link?

· Registered
618 Posts
The pattern has been pulled as far as I can tell but somebody here http://www.technologymom.com/justknittingaround/
is trying to be very helpfull to those of you thjat are good at figuring patterns out on your own.

You need to scroll down quite a bit, but the fish are easy to spot!

· Registered
734 Posts
http://knittingarrows.blogspot.com/ (i'm just linking to her blog, which I think is okay - she has her own fish pattern).

Also, there was a discussion at craftster about this pattern since its reappearance in the Harlot's blog.

Someone there posted this:

Quote:
I just spoke to the Assistant Editor at Knitter's Magazine and she said that the "Festive Fish" afghan will be reprinted in their "Babies & Toddlers: A Knitter's Dozen" book coming out late this year.
The craftster thread is here

Coming back to add that in the craftster thread there are links to other blogs or sites with fish patterns, not just the fact that a book is forthcoming.

~amey

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.