Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD got her first pair of "walking" shoes and they were hard to find. We opted for the old fashion hard sole, high top shoes we had when we were kids. Anyway, I went to payless today and saw the cutest pair of airwalk slip ons I'd like to get DD for the summer. Does anyone have any opinion on the shoes at payless? There was a pair so cute I wish I could stick my long, wide size 9 in. LOL

·
Registered
770 Posts
we bought a couple of pairs (one sandals and one mary jane style) from payless last summer for dd1. i have no complaints with them; they fit and she likes them. the other thing that really impressed me is that i had bought both pairs in the states and when i got home to canada realized that one pair didn't fit; the store here still did an exchange. i thought that was generous of them.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Payless shoes don't tend to hold up as well as other shoes, but that honestly makes them great for fast-growing feet since they are inexpensive and kids grow out of them before they wear out. I don't like buying them now that my feet aren't growing because it is better to just pay more for shoes that will hold up longer. I think I wore payless shoes exclusively as a kid

·
Registered
728 Posts
DS #1 has some of those airwalks. He says he has shoes like Mommy, I guess I wear my vans a lot.

Payless shoes are alright. They'll last as long as they fit, which with my kids isn't very long. I wouldn't expect to hand them down.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Some are better than others IMO. I prefer leather for breathability and I won't buy a shoe that does not have a flexible sole. I personally hate seeing kids in stiff shoes where their feet wont' bend. A lot of Payless shoes are stiff and plastic.

All the research in recent years has shown that barefoot or a shoe that simulates barefoot conditions is best for a new walker/toddler as it allows the muscles and bones to develop properly.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you are talking about the fake crocs, I have had mine for three years and they are still holding up very well and I wear them pretty much all the time. I have only two complaints... they are not good for snowy/wet/icy roads or sidewalks and stickers or other sharp things will go through the bottom of them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Some are better than others IMO. I prefer leather for breathability and I won't buy a shoe that does not have a flexible sole. I personally hate seeing kids in stiff shoes where their feet wont' bend. A lot of Payless shoes are stiff and plastic.

All the research in recent years has shown that barefoot or a shoe that simulates barefoot conditions is best for a new walker/toddler as it allows the muscles and bones to develop properly.
Thanks for the info. I've heard the new research too but I like the hard sole shoe for standing and walking because it gives her ankle support.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
If you are talking about the fake crocs, I have had mine for three years and they are still holding up very well and I wear them pretty much all the time. I have only two complaints... they are not good for snowy/wet/icy roads or sidewalks and stickers or other sharp things will go through the bottom of them.
Thanks. My friend lives in her fake crocs and loves em.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've bought shoes from Payless for DS before and they've worked out great!! I bought them when he was younger and his feet were growing so fast, that spending $15 or $20 on a pair of shoes that will only last a couple of months until he grows out of them, didn't bother me too much. They do have cute shoes for kids AND grown-ups.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You mean like the fake crocs? DS has a pair of those. We have had no problems. Prior to that he had 2 pairs of summer sandals from Payless, no problems. We couldn't find ones wide enough at Stride Rite! Paless's fit and the price was nice. They're great for summer shoes.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I agree with Soccermama. I figure that as long as my kids' feet are growing so fast, I don't mind spending that $10-$20 every month to keep them in cute shoes that fit. The styles are fun and resemble most of the more expensive brands, and the quality isn't bad for the price. I've had some Payless shoes last at least a year, if not more.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
Thanks for the info. I've heard the new research too but I like the hard sole shoe for standing and walking because it gives her ankle support.
This has actually been found to be really bad for foot development. Babies (and adults) are meant to walk barefoot. It is much harder for a baby to learn to walk in hard soled shoes and they will not develop their arches very well because they can't grip the ground with their toes. Her ankles don't need support, and most shoes that offer ankle "support" are actually just restricting the movement, which affects balance and muscle development.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
probably the reason they were so hard to find is that they are pretty bad for baby feet. babies do not need help with ankle supporet or balance. these things come natrually when they are developmentally appropriate. bare feet are best.

as for payless. its pretty much excllusively what my kids wear. you can't beat $10 for a pair of shoes. athletic shoes we buy nicer but until they are spending long hours on their feet or doing something high impact shoes are mostly a fashion statement anyway.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinalla View Post
Payless shoes don't tend to hold up as well as other shoes, but that honestly makes them great for fast-growing feet since they are inexpensive and kids grow out of them before they wear out. I don't like buying them now that my feet aren't growing because it is better to just pay more for shoes that will hold up longer. I think I wore payless shoes exclusively as a kid

I have had the complete opposite experience - I find that they have really high prices for childrend's shoes. I bought a pair of sandals for my son who was six months at the time and the were $40. And, I almost always buy my shoes there and I find that they hold up really well.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
we have not had any issue with them holding up just fine. church shoes have been worn by 2 or 3 kids. everyday shoe last as lonmg or longer than more expensive shoes

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
Bad idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhf View Post
This has actually been found to be really bad for foot development. Babies (and adults) are meant to walk barefoot. It is much harder for a baby to learn to walk in hard soled shoes and they will not develop their arches very well because they can't grip the ground with their toes. Her ankles don't need support, and most shoes that offer ankle "support" are actually just restricting the movement, which affects balance and muscle development.
:

Barefoot is best. If not barefoot, they should be soft enough to crumple.

-Angela

·
Registered
291 Posts
I liked Robeez or fake Robeez for my son when he was learning to walk. They were the best shoes ever!

I do buy him payless shoes now, when I can, but he has a wide foot, so sometimes I can't find shoes for him there and I have to go to Stride Rite. AAAGH!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.