Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like we're losing one of our twins. I'm only 9 weeks, so I knew this was a real possibility, but I'm crushed. I'm also now worried to death about our remaining baby. Anyone have a vanishing twin experience that resulted in a healthy (even uncomplicated) singleton birth? I had 3 losses before this pregnancy & now my RE is suggesting I'm (still) high risk despite now having a single viable fetus (for now). I really just want to go back to my home birth midwife practice, which is so laid back compared to the stress of my recurrent loss doctor, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the one living fetus we have left. Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am so sorry, @t2009. I haven't even come across anyone discussing this on the boards I have been on here, but I wonder if you might find some good support (or people having done a lot of research on this topic) in the fertility challenges threads. Many of those end up in twin pregnancies, and your situation is one that many of them also would have been aware of possibly facing or may have even experienced.

I hope that this is not what is happening to you, but I also hope that, ultimately, you have a healthy birth at the other side of this stressful process. Have you researched it yourself? I recall you saying that you thought these were dizygotic twins, so that, unless they are sharing a sac, losing one should have a low risk of affecting the loss of the other, it seems. But I am sorry, that is just my impression.... I have no experience with it. :hug

ETA: I recall learning that current theories about multiplies' development suggest that the majority of twin pregnancies are vanishing twin pregnancies, but that most of the parents never know about the vanished twin. Those who do are in the minority. So... those singletons all did just fine after their twin was reabsorbed.
@swissmiss2584 - you went through this this past spring - can you add anything to this?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much @Oceanspray. It's so kind of you to respond. I will try posting on the fertility challenges board.

I spoke to two doctors now & a midwife. Since the twins were/are di/di, the situation is as good as it can be. I think & hope you're right--loss of one does not mean loss of both. Also, chances are they are not identical so that any chromosomal problem affecting the one will not affect the other. Thank you so much for your supportive words! I was really scared after talking to one doctor today.

·
Registered
771 Posts
@t2009 - how are you doing now? Have you spoken with anyone else who may have a more realistic (less negative) perspective? And how do you FEEL? I think, if I could imagine being in your shoes, I would try so hard to go by my gut instinct feeling....do I feel like this baby is happy, doing well, is thriving, do I feel pregnant and expectant? I know it is all very uncertain, but when there are no other answers, perhaps you can gain some comfort from your own body and senses. I hope you have wonderful news at your next scan. When will you go?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know someone that mc one of her twins early on. I'm not sure on the details, but it did result in one healthy boy. They were on the lookout for twins because the father was a twin too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes this happened to me in my last pregnancy. My first scan showed 2 sacs. The second scan showed 2 sacs but only one had an embryo with a heartbeart. The third scan showed just one sac and one baby. He is 5.5 now and the pregnancy was totally normal.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses! They've made me feel a lot better!
@Oceanspray, I'm doing ok. Still feeling pregnancy symptoms, which is reassuring. Thank you for your advice--I feel like I let go of my intuition when I started seeing my RE so often & just got swept up in their care plan. I'm going to try to get back to that. So as part of that, I cancelled the scan I had scheduled for tomorrow. I don't have another one scheduled yet. I think the next will be the NT scan around week 12. Trying to just return a calmer state as my RE totally stresses me out & has a terrible bed side manner.

Thank you @TheBugsMomma! I appreciate you chiming in & hope for the same outcome as your friend.

And thank you, too, @polishrose! I'm sorry you also lost one of your twins, but I so appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It's such a nerve-wracking time!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you all for your responses! They've made me feel a lot better!
@Oceanspray, I'm doing ok. Still feeling pregnancy symptoms, which is reassuring. Thank you for your advice--I feel like I let go of my intuition when I started seeing my RE so often & just got swept up in their care plan. I'm going to try to get back to that. So as part of that, I cancelled the scan I had scheduled for tomorrow. I don't have another one scheduled yet. I think the next will be the NT scan around week 12. Trying to just return a calmer state as my RE totally stresses me out & has a terrible bed side manner.

Thank you @TheBugsMomma! I appreciate you chiming in & hope for the same outcome as your friend.

And thank you, too, @polishrose! I'm sorry you also lost one of your twins, but I so appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It's such a nerve-wracking time!

Hi there!!! Please relax :x I had one miscarriage and a month later I was pregnant. The screen showed two embryo sacs, but in the end only one was filled with embryo. That embryo is now a 7 year old young man, and pregnancy was with 0 complications. Two years ago I gave birth to my twin girls (twins were my destiny :grin:) and I'm now pregnant with baby number 4. God bless you, I'm sure all will be just fine:thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts