Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend was over last night with his new girlfriend and we were having a couple drinks and they seemed quite happy together and have obviously been talking about a family, because the topic came up about having kids. He really is great with kids and I know he would make a great father. (just met the girlfriend and don't know her thoughts on this although she was sitting right there listening to the conversation so I assume they have been talking about it)<br><br>
However, he was married before and had a vasectomy because his x had two kids already and didn't want more, she left him last year because she wasn't happy, sadly her kids which he raised for 5 years aren't his and he has no rights to see them although he does go to soccor games and such.<br><br>
He brought up the topic of having the vasectomy reversed and his concern was how devastating it would be if it didn't work. I think he will always regret not trying and so I was wondering if you could share any thoughts or experiences with me that I could pass on to him. The odds are about 50/50 that it will work and the cost is about $6000. (he makes pretty good money so I don't think it's an issue)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well, I'm not sure exactly what will help your friend out but...<br><br>
My dad got remarried, had a vasectomy reversed after 10 years, and I have a much younger half-brother now as proof that it worked. :LOL This was about 10 years ago so I'm sure techniques are much better now. The only other thing I know about it is that he said the reversal was MUCH more painful than the vasectomy had been and the recovery time is longer.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks this is the sort of story I want to hear...that it worked and it was worth it and no regrets...he has enough regrets about having it done in the first place...I do want to hear stories of having it done and not being able to have a baby as well...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dr. Phil had a vasectomy reversal and it worked, thus his younger son.<br><br>
I know several men who have had vasectomy reversals, all of them had children afterwards. I think it may depend on the surgeon on what the chances of reversal are. 50/50 seems low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts