Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of making some, but don't wanna shell out for a pattern. dh is putting the big squeeze on me money-wise.
has anyone found one or tried one? anyone designed their own? if so, what materials and stuff? seems like i could just use a regular disposible pad as a starting point...

eta: i'm also wondering if i can use fleece for a waterproof backing and how you keep them from slipping around

J.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think Reverand Jan's craft page, linked on this page http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/ has one. There are commercial Mama pads made with Windpro fleece as the waterproof layer, as well as felted wool! Lots have wings with snaps that keep the pad in place, but I think just fleece would help them stay. You could use flannel for the absorbant part, or hemp fleece, velour, terry, whatever you've got. An old flannel sheet could make your whole pad fleet!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i was hoping that someone would post a link to rev jan's page b/c i figured she'd have something, but my link wasn't working. and i can't get your link to work either.
maybe her page is down for some reason and i'll try later. that's awsome news about fleece though.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you want to put wings onto your pads, you can use buttons or even hook and loop (being careful to use small, round pieces to avoid any chaffing... youch!). I have made one pair of AF undies. I put a layer of windpro fleece into the crotch of the panties, and added snaps at the front and back. Then made several pads that snap into the panties. I'm in the process of making more for late pregnancy and post partum.

also, flannel doesn't seem to slip around much if you wear cotton panties.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I made a couple from the diapersewing.com pattern. Great tutorial, but IMO the pad was too short and wide, so you may want to test the size/shape on your panties before sewing some up..... IF you decide to use that pattern.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you might want to try a wing-free version too. I thought wings would be better, but I found that the basic hour glass shape (contoured) works so well and if you use fleece or flannel on the bottom they dont move at all. No need for snaps or velcro (owch) and you end up using less material.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekymamaof2
you might want to try a wing-free version too. I thought wings would be better, but I found that the basic hour glass shape (contoured) works so well and if you use fleece or flannel on the bottom they dont move at all. No need for snaps or velcro (owch) and you end up using less material.

I totally agree. I make simple long oval shaped pads, and they work great. They have 4 layers of flannel or 2 layers of sherpa on the top, a layer of PUL (my diaper scraps work great for this), and another layer of flannel to keep them in place. I have some winged ones too (I made my own pattern) that use snaps, but I like the non-winged ones better. With a serger, they are so quick to make....and I got the flannel at a garage sale...so the price is minimal really (since I'm using mostly diaper scraps too).

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Here is another page of patterns. The classic rag is what I use - simple to sew, simple to use. The only fabric is uses is flannel, so my sis and I used my dad's old workshirts.
No snaps to sew, the flannel 'sticks' in place in snug undies. Very easy to make to a size that works best for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.