Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were going into the 3rd week and I am feeling seriously lost! My books are still arriving, ok, only half my stuff as arrived so far so I can't refer to the missing book like umm, the text book! My mom is suddenly not being as supportive as she was and suddenly "forgot" she agreed to watch the kids so I could go to the SI classes which is extra tutoring the school offers since Anatomy has like a 70% drop/fail rate. The lectures and slides are podcast so thats a plus but I need online resources free or paid that work to help you pass. I have my first exam Friday the 11th covering cytology, histology, and the integumentary system (skin). Suggestions? Links? Even if its high school stuff, it lays the foundation to understanding it better.

· Registered
293 Posts
Last year I completed a 3 part advanced A&P series with a 4.0. The one thing that got me through it was drawing. First draw while looking at notes and then keep practicing until you can draw the entire system without looking. I am not artistic either so my drawings always looked a bit off. Othert students would use coloring books or flashcards they bought but being a single mom and full time student I did not have the extra 100$ to spend so I decided to make my own. By the time I had the materials made I had learned most of the material and barley used the flashcards and book I made. I know everyone has a different style of learning but for anatomy I really think drawing the parts yourself will make a big difference. Also find out if there are any other lab sections you could 'crash' or a weekly open lab for any A&P students. The only other people from my class that got As were the ones I always ran into in open lab, the extra 90 minuets of hands on learning really helps make ideas more concrete. Especailly if you team up with a classmate and quiz each other.
Good luck

· Registered
152 Posts
i second the drawings!
when i was taking anatomy courses i would draw my own flashcards. on one side i'd draw the picture and on the back i would write out: origin, insertion, nerve supply, blood supply, and action
writing things down again helped me with the memorization
good luck!!
also, i would "teach" the anatomy to my husband. he knows a ton about the human body and has never taken any sort of anatomy/physiology/etc type of course. =)

· Registered
1,765 Posts
I agree with drawing.

I also think it's really important to maximize every minute of instruction/learning. Meaning, don't just SIT in lecture, really, really think - try and understand it as the prof goes along, don't write down notes verbatim, but put them in your own words. Ask questions if you don't know what's happening. Same goes for when you're studying. REALLY focus (and I have ADD). When you're making or going through flashcards, do it very actively. Don't just look at the card and then flip it over to see the answer. Force yourself to try to remember it before you give up and just look. I honestly never found a great other resource. I used professor's office hours a lot - show up with questions.

· Registered
522 Posts
I taught human anatomy labs for 2 1/2 years. I know many anatomy mnemonic devices (some dirty, most clean
) and have a bunch of textbooks, so if you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me or I can give you my e-mail address. What textbooks will you use for the class?

I agree with PPs that drawing helps a lot, especially when it comes to mapping out nerves and blood vessels. One thing that helped me when I took the class was to take some of those drawings in the textbook (the ones with dozens of structures labeled), cover up those labels with paper, and try to fill in the correct answers without peeking. Check your answers, then come back later and take the same "quiz" again until you get them all right. Do you know what form the tests will be (multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, etc.)? I've found that it reduces test anxiety enormously if you study as though you're taking the test. If you will be asked to label drawings on the test, the method I mentioned above will work. If the test is multiple choice word problems, write and swap some questions with a friend to test each other. Teaching others is also a great way to study.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.