Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!<br><br>
Does anyone know a preschool near Hollywood, CA, that doesn't stress academic studies, in other words, a school that believes in learning through experiences? The other issue I'm particualr about is the food. I visited one preschool, and although I liked their philosophy, I wasn't happy about the snacks they were giving to kids. Too much sugar and artificial coloring.<br>
I heard about Play Mountain Place and I'm going to check it out, but they seem to have a long waiting list. So I'm looking for other places.<br><br>
Thank you!<br>
Fumiko

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MJmommy,<br><br>
No luck so far. I did go see Play Mountain Place and I liked most of what they are doing, including food. (They try to serve organic snacks.) But there are a few things that I didn't quite agree with. So I'm not sure. I'm beginning to give homeschooling a serious thought.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I loved Garden of Angels but it is in Brentwood. Check out their website. They are a small relaxed pre-8th private performing arts school. We only left because we had to move. I would have kept my kids there forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just curious, what didn't you like about Play Mountain Place. I thought it sounded great until today I heard that it's pretty extreme. Kids can cuss et. wondering what you found.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just curious! What do you mean by kids can cuss?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Someone told me that there are no boundaries and that it is permissible for a child to use profanities. I was raised part time in that kind of environment and it's a little too extreme for me.<br><br>
The website for Garden of Angels doesn't seem to be working but it sure sounds interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, rommamomma, for the info. -- I did hear about Garden of Angels. Maybe I should check that out. But it is kind of far from us...<br><br>
MJmommy -- At Play Mountain Place, they really respect children and their emotions. I think that is great but yes, I think they are a bit extreme. While we were there to see the school, our guide was asking 2&3 year-olds if it's ok to let the visitors see their classroom. Fortunately, most of the kids were too busy to respond. One boy said yes and none objected. But I don't think that was an appropriate thing to ask 2&3 year-olds. What if some of them said no?<br>
I don't know about cussing, but maybe they give too much freedom and too many choices to the children. Those things are important, but I think children also need some sort of structure and guidance. It's a matter of balance... So I'm not sure if that school works for us. But it is definitely far better than other schools I've seen or heard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter goes to LA Family School in Silverlake. There's also Hilltop Nursery and a new preschool called Little Rays Preschool out of a great house in Echo Park. If you're interested in co-ops, take a look at Neighborhood Nursery and Rose Charlin in Silverlake. Another co-op is called Garden co-op in Eagle Rock.<br><br>
I hope this helps. Let me know if you want more information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts