Mothering Forum banner

Any Greyhound mamas?

550 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  USAmma
or papas?

We adopted our Greyhound, Gideon, this spring. We're completely smitten with him! Everyone seems to adore him, even friends who aren't 'dog people"! He's a big cold-blooded grey, a really pretty fawn brindle. We got him from a rescue group that mostly fosters ex-racers but will take in any needy grey. He's just a giant lapdog (literally!) I know greyhound owners are some of the most devoted on the planet and I'd love to hear your stories!

Stacy
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
How is he as far as following his nose? (If you know...) I've often thought I'd like to have an exracer (in keeping with my "rehab the racehorse" habits, I thought it would be good
) but I'm concerned that (s)he'd get a scent and take off when we were out riding, and I don't want a dog that can't go with me, bc that's half the fun, and I need a dog that I can trust to be outside by himself during the day in the summertime, without being yarded or babysat. KWIM?
See less See more
Then never a greyhound, unfortunately. Greys MUST be on-leash or on-lure (as in coursing) a hundred percent of the time. They don't have any ability to turn away from a lure (they're sighthounds, not scenthounds, so they don't follow scent--they follow a moving object), nor should they. They're bred to run AWAY from a handler TOWARD a moving object, which means they should never be unsupervised.

Otherwise Greys are some of the best dogs going.
Laurel, as much as I want to spread the greyhound love around, Joanna is right. They just aren't good off-leash dogs. I'm not sure if I'd want them around horses either since Greys are notoriously thin-skinned and small scratches that would hardly bleed or cause concern on other dogs often need to be sutured on greys.
: It's too bad because generally their temperment is perfect for horses.

Stacy
See less See more
I currently have 3 mutts, but have considered a greyhound. I think they're wonderful dogs, what little I know of them.
I really have my heart set on adopting a Greyhound. Im in massage school right now, but when Im done I hope to. I have an 11yo border collie/mix. My only hesitation is we will need to put in a bigger dog door, and Im not crazy about that idea........

Can you train a greyhound to be on voice command so they can be off leash? Thats how Ive always trained my dogs. But I know they are different.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs
Then never a greyhound, unfortunately. Greys MUST be on-leash or on-lure (as in coursing) a hundred percent of the time. They don't have any ability to turn away from a lure (they're sighthounds, not scenthounds, so they don't follow scent--they follow a moving object), nor should they. They're bred to run AWAY from a handler TOWARD a moving object, which means they should never be unsupervised.

Otherwise Greys are some of the best dogs going.

Well, better to know beforehand I guess, right?

Don't want to adopt a dog that would need to be rescued from me!! Kinda defeats the purpose....I guess I'll just admire from afar....
See less See more
I had a grey for many years and she passed away when my oldest was a year old.
Gracie was a beautiful white dog with brindle spots, and she was the absolute best dog ever. She was my first baby and I really miss her. I have not been able to scatter her ashes as I had intended to when she passed. I also fostered several greys when I was pg with dd1, the last one was about a week or two before I had her. It was fun and rewarding to teach the dogs how to be pets vs. racing dogs. I hope we can have another grey when the kids are older. Right now life is too busy.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.