Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm looking for some way to make a little extra cash and I ordered one of those books full of home assembly opportunities. Some of them look kind of fun and I was just wondering if anyone had actually tried anything like this.

I Have read about al the potential downfalls (like not buying stuff because it isn't up to their standards) I'd like to think that some of them might actually be legitimate. Am I being naive?

Thanks for any input!

· Registered
772 Posts
Check with the BBB online first! Most of them make you buy your supplies from them, low buy back rate, unrealistic turn around, etc. I'm sure some are legit, just make sure you do your research
We went thru a couple and never found a legit one, so gave up. Good luck!

· Registered
2,355 Posts
yes, i would def. be wary. my own mama did one some years ago, for sewing glasses cases. she sewed them perfectly. she's an excellent seamstress. flawless. after paying the company to send her the patterns, they refused to buy them back (after she paid to ship them) so she was stuck with about 80 really lovely padded glasses cases. it was not a happy time. there's really not very many honest home assembly jobs out there. and anything that asks you for money first is likely not legitemite. good luck, mama.

· Registered
4,378 Posts
I made tiny little jewery boxes for dollhouses. They stood about an inch high, had three teeny drawers, each lined in velvet and trim. The knobs were the heads off of common pins. The grain of the wood on the three drawers had to match, perfectly.

I slaved over these and never got one perfect. I gave up but saved one very good one for myself. I had to buy the kit. What a waste of time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.