Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies! I'm 24 weeks pregnant and considering switching to a homebirth. Any thoughts/ideas/opinions from Moms who have done this? What are good questions to ask the midwives I am interviewing? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
No experience, but I'm interested in the advice you get.<br><br>
Good luck with your interviewing and decisions!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Helpful responses I got to questions were about transferring. I wanted to know what kinds of things the midwife had dealt with and what a transfer looked like.<br><br>
You may want to know what kinds of things the midwife brings with her. How long she stays after the birth. What kinds of things she does after the birth.<br><br>
Any regular questions you'd ask any practitioner too.<br><br>
Health insurance is often a bit of a pain at least in NY. Asking about that is good too.<br><br>
Good luck! I loved my homebirth and look forward to another great one!<br><br>
LL

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Crashing your DDC, but there's a wealth of information over in the homebirth forum, especially in the homebirth FAQ thread: <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1108446" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1108446</a>

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Someone a long time ago recommended asking for a couple of birth stories during your interview...maybe her most recent one and her most interesting one, or her favorite birth story or...whatever you want to know. If you hear two or three birth stories and they all include something you aren't really sure about (for example, I know of one midwife's website where an alarming number of the birth stories posted involve episitomies), then you can think twice about how you feel about her attending you. And you can, of course, give her the opportunity to explain, as well. I think you can learn a lot from a birth worker by asking for her most memorable or favorite birth, then asking what makes it the most memorable or the favorite.<br><br>
Not that this would be *all* you want to ask, of course!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
We're planning a homebirth with our first this March/April and loving it. I think the most important things are the 'protocols' your midwife is comfortable with/encourages/her philosophy...like, GDM, GBS, SROM before labor, all that stuff, like vaginal exams at the end of pregnancy etc.<br><br>
I would also emphasize the importance of trusting your midwife and feeling really comfortable with her as your provider. The vibe you get, all that good stuff when you meet with her.<br><br>
Also, insurance may or may not cover it depending on what state you're in and what insurance you have. Which can be a big ouchie, but not as big an ouchie as a horrible birth experience...or just a hospital birth period, haha. In my own opinion I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to have a desirable birth experience--even if it means lots of OT!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts