Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm yet again toying with the idea of HS. And I wonder if there are any parents here who were HS'd and how that influenced your decison to HS (or not) your kids. One thing I've been wondering is how an adult reflects on their HS experience.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sure. It did look like most responses were positive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We plan to homeschool our children and while I was never homeschooled, my husband was for most of his life. He has nothing but good memories and while this doesn't make him feel that we must homeschool our children, it does allow him to see homeschooling as a perfectly valid option and a perfectly normal thing to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have ran into only one adult that was homeschooled who did not have fond memories of being homeschooled. The main reason she didn't like it was her parents had homeschooled for religious reasons and they had really sheltered her. Another friend of mine who was homeschooled now works as an auditor for the IRS and was one of the biggest advocates for it when I was trying to determine whether or not to homeschool

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I went to school until about the 6th grade and then me and my brother and sister were taken out to be homeschooled and we all LOVED IT! We were unschooled.

I enjoyed it so much, that I wanted the same for my kids....who love it as well. My oldest is 11 years old now and has no desire to go to school. She knows if she wants to go she can, but she chooses to continue being at home.

I had been through all the crap in both public and private schools, especially the horrible peer pressure....I was glad to leave all that behind and, basically, find myself. My mom called it the "teen cult".

Once I left school it was like my eyes were opened to the real world (kids in school are so far removed from the real world IMO). It wasn't until after I left school that I become interested in politics, reading, learning, writing, I started volunteering and enjoyed it so much, taking college classes as soon as I could, etc. It was the best thing my mother did for me and my brother and sister.

My oldest who is 11 is so refreshing compared to a lot of the girls her age....she could care less about her hair, she doesn't know she is "too tall" or that her feet are "too big". She thinks she is smart and pretty, she has great self esteem and totally stands up for herself!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I was only HS'd for 1 year, but I plan on HSing my kids (disclaimer: past preschool)! It was the best year of my educational career, and I went to what are supposedly some of the top schools in the country. Back then it was a really weird thing to do, at least in my neck of the woods: I remember there were all these rumors about why I mysteriously disapeared from school, including one that I was dead!

I loved the freedom to go at my own pace: the thngs that I was good at weren't "dumbed down," and I didn't have to be the one that things were dumbed down for in the things that I wasn't so good at. I really got to pursue many interests. The one downside is that we were REALLY disorganized (the decision was made a week into the school year, and as I said it was very uncommon and we had no idea what we were doing and no resources or role models). I already want to avoid that with my kids, so I'm already researching what's out there. It's great that HSing has become so mainstream since I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I wasn't HSed, but my friend was. She doesn't have kids, but says she would HS them for sure. She loved it and says she wouldn't change a thing. She could have gone to school if she chose to, but never did until college. Now she has 3 degrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.