Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My OB recommended a website, but the don't have the right size.  Why are they so hard to get?</p>

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
<p>I just got mine at the pharmacy. If I recall, I might have had to wait a day or two for them to get the right size, but it really wasn't that hard.</p>

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
My pharmacy carries them in stock. I dont see why the pharmacy there cant order what you need?

·
Registered
417 Posts
<p>It depends on the size and type of diaphragm prescribed. Ortho All-flex is the most common type in the US. However, in 2008, they stopped making latex diaphragms and switched to silicone. When they did this, they also quit making some sizes. Now Ortho only makes the All-Flex in the 65, 70, 75, and 80mm sizes. If you need a 60 or an 85, you need a different brand. I know Reflexions is another brand.</p>
<p>When I got my new D this summer (this is my 3rd one, BTW), the pharmacy tried to tell me that they were no longer made. I freaked out and contacted Ortho, because I just couldn't believe that. What had happened was the pharmacy tech had tried to order the D using the old code from the latex D rather than the new code for the silicone. Even when I asked if it was for the silicone, they didn't get it right. After lots of headaches and phonecalls, a pharmacist who had a clue was able to help.</p>
<p>I highly recommend this Yahoo group for anyone who uses or is considering a diaphragm or cervical barrier. There is tons of information in their files (including a list of the correct codes for silicone Ds, which I shared with my pharmacy) and there are very knowledgable people available to answer questions.  <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps/" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DiaphragmsAndCaps/</a></p>
<p>I think Ds are hard to get because they aren't money makers for drug companies. I mean, one device lasts a couple of years for the cost of one month of their pills. I think drs. don't recommend them because drug reps don't push them. Also, I think drs. don't always trust women to take responsibility for their own health be remembering to correctly use the D as needed.</p>
<p>Anyway, don't give up on your quest! We love our diaphragm!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts