Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my back is really hurt right now. I am seeing a chiropractor to work on getting it better. In the meantime, dh and I are ECing our almost 8 wk old baby every day since birth. It has been going great! However, with my back out I have to now do minimal lifting. It sucks! I can't even carry baby in the bjorn right now or do much at all. So holding him over the potty multiple times a day really hurts my back right now even though he is only 11 lbs, because my back is so "out".<br>
So this wkend dh did all the ECing so I can rest. Tomorrow he goes back to work and I am home with the baby all day. I so much want to continue ECing him as we are getting a good rhythm with it and I don't want to just have him go in his diaper all day.<br>
So I am trying to figure out some kind of stand I can rig up so I canset him on it and just hold him for balance rather than with all my back support. We have one of those little baby bjorn potty's.<br>
Any suggestions of a stand I could rig up?<br>
Anyone else ever EC;ed with a hurt back?!<br>
I know people say it is ok to take a break from ECing when you need to, but I love doing it and really want to keep with it! But I also need to give my body some time to heal so it is a tough one.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
at this age, I pottied DS on the dryer, where his changing pad was (is) kept. Seems like that would be a good height for your back. If you don't have a dryer - or it's in the basement or someplace like that - how about a counter top?<br><br>
My grandma tells a story about having the minister drop by when she was holding my mom (less than a year) over the "pot" on the kitchen table. She was so embarrassed (but not so embarrassed that she won't tell the story!)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I sit, usually on the floor, couch, or bed. I straddle with the potty between my legs and then place DS (2 months) on the potty and support him by letting him lean against my torso while I hug him around his tummy. I have back issues too. They are not acute, but enough so that I try not to do anything to stress it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My DH had back problems for a while. I have a few suggestions.<br><br>
-You could set the potty on a counter<br>
-Use a sink and set his bottom on edge of sink while his back is leaning on your torso<br>
-set a chair by the toilet and have his bottom on the seat facing the lid, while his back rests against your torso-or you could kneel while doing this<br>
-you sit on the toilet in a normal position with your legs spread. Baby's back is resting against your belly and penis is pointing down between your legs<br><br>
Had some more and was going to link to some pics, but have to run! I'll try to get back later!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Our main floor potty (upstairs and basement we use the toilet) is sitting on top of a 4-shelf bookshelf unit. For me, that means lifting her up above my shoulders a bit, but for DH with a bad back, it means he can plop her on at the perfect height.<br><br>
In front of the toilet upstairs we have a stool that is just a couple of inches shorter than the toilet seat - sometimes I perch on that, if she's going to be a little longer (poo). It was/is originally there for my 4 year old to rest his feet on while pooping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts