Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh has hasn't been feeling well for 3.5 weeks now. It started on a Tuesday night when he had pain in his chest, left side, his left arm, that leg. After waiting it out for hours, he went to a local ER (not a well regarded hospital) where they ran tests & determined he was not having (nor had he had) a heart attack, a stroke or anything else that blood work or xray could distinguish. He was sent home w/ the dx of chest wall pain w/ 800 mg of ibuprofen.

He went to see our family dr. who thought it was a pinched nerve in his neck. Sent him for xrays that came back negative. He's since had a brain & cervical spine xray. There was nothing other than his brain on the brain one & we don't know the results of the spine one yet. He's going to see a neurologist when the results come back & he can make an appt (he has one that he scheduled on Monday for the end of the month; having the MRIs done will help get him in sooner, we think).

We go to the chiropractor regularly & he agrees that dh should see a neurologist. He's been adjusted 2 or 3 times since this started & it hasn't changed anything. Dh's pain has been in his chest, arm, finger, leg & has had weakness in these limbs too. His ring finger on his left hand has caused him pain. Yesterday, he has some pain in his right arm. He's had terrible headaches too.

Now, some of this may have been going on for years, but whatever it is it seems to have come to stay now.

W/ nothing on the brain MRI, that basically rules out (I believe) a tumor or MS. I was looking through my Lyme disease book to see if I could find anything that might point to that.

We truly have no idea. Dh did some searches on webmd or maybe somewhere else & found people complaining of similar symptoms but didn't find a dx.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Sus

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I had severe pain from a pinched nerve. It was from my neck, down my arm, into my fingers. It didn't go down a leg though. And I can't think of any nerve at all that runs in all the areas you mention. Oh, you can't see pinched nerves in x-ray so that doesn't rule out the possibility. The didn't see a fracture or cyst perhaps on a nerve. But it could still be pinched/trapped.

I definitely think the neuro is in order particularly since he's losing some function. MRI rules out MS. I believe it rules out tumors as well if it was with contrast. Tumor wise that he has no nausea in the morning is a good sign I believe. I do think you might be describing nerve issues. The neuro will be able to determine if the weakness is nerve related. The neuro told me ALS isn't painful...just in case you read anything on that in your looking. Lyme can cause nerve damage-do you live in a lyme heavy area?

I also had nerve and muscle pain from a deficiency of co-q-10. So looking at deficiencies is another possibility. Defiencies of Co-q-10, carnitine, b12, or vitamin D or parathryoid disease (you look at calcium levels) can all wreck havoc with nerves and/or muscles. With co-q-10 and carnitine you would also have fatigue though, not just pain I believe.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Hmm I had that for several months. Drove me crazy. In fact, I had people saying it must be all in my head. Chiro did nothing. Homeopathy did nothing. I took so many aspirins (over the period) that my stomach acted up and I started getting ulcers. It was terrible.

Then one day it went away. I swear. No change in house, job, lifestyle, food. Nothing.

I still get a weird "memory" feeling in my left arm, left shoulder blade and left leg. But nothing so bad that I need pain meds.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll look more into the deficiency ideas.

We got his spine results back today & they were "unremarkable." We keep teasing about things like the brain scan proving all those (like parents & stepparents) wrong who said he must not have a brain & today I told him he's unremarkable. We're having to joke about this because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Thanks again.
Sus

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Defnitely see the neurologist. Ask him about nerve conduction studies if there is muscle weakness. There are all kinds of neurological conditions that could produce weakness/pain.

Also has he been seen by a phyiotherapist? (one that specializes in soft tissue and back issues) He/she could at least assess for possible muscular problems, eg. knots that are putting pressure on peripheral nerves. (e.g. sciatic nerve in low back area/buttocks, and median/ulnar/radial nerves which passes through shoulder/armpit area on their way to the arm).

best wishes in your search

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the replies.

He was able to get in to see the neurologist this past Monday. They ordered tons of bloodwork (that also looked for various vitamin deficiencies) and an EMG, a test that looks at muscle & nerve functioning. All the bloodwork came back normal & the EMG today showed nothing.

So, in a way, that's good news, but we still don't know what's going on. The neurologist said today that viruses can live in your nerves & he may have a virus. She also said that a spinal tap could detect a rare form of MS but she doesn't think that's the problem.

She gave him some meds that may help w/ his headaches and he has an appt in a month. I'm hoping to have some time to do some research on viruses that can live in the nerves. I also want to look more into Lyme - I know that this can come on slowly & unusual symptoms can come from it.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to share.

Sus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.