Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all of a sudden, our dipes smell kind of yucky. not poopy smelling, but stinky. i wash them every 2 or 3 days.<br><br>
my usual routine has been to rinse them<br>
soak them in all free and clear and chlorox 2 for several hours or overnight<br>
wash them and rinse once or twice<br><br>
i've tried adding vinegar to the rinse cycle, i didn't notice that it helped.<br><br>
what else should i be doing?<br><br>
any help would be appreciated. they're kind of grossing me out...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmmm... I would try not soaking them with the detergent. The smell you are smelling might be residual detergent in the diapers.<br><br>
Perhaps try to soak them in plain water or water with a splash of vinegar. Reserve the detergent for use in the main wash cycle. Also, vinegar in the rinse cycle is great for "cutting" through the detergent and rinsing it away.<br><br>
I have never used it, but I have read that some MDC mamas have had stink/bad experiences with "Free and Clear" detergents. I use regular Tide (1 Tbl in my HOT wash cycle) and have had great success with it.<br><br>
Here's a great link for some tips:<br><a href="http://www.punkinbutt.com/easy_wash.asp" target="_blank">http://www.punkinbutt.com/easy_wash.asp</a><br><br>
HTH!<br>
Laura

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've been using Dawn dishsoap because of some suggestions here and it seems to reallyl help with any stink in my diapers. Maybe you could try that?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd try stripping them and then keeping the wash routine simple after that. Go turn your water heater up as high as it will go and then wash them with plain water for as many washes as it takes until you don't see anymore suds.<br><br>
From then on, my wash routine would be: an over night cold soak, followed by a HOT wash in the morning with less detergent than you have been using and no clorox, and then one extra cold rinse. That should keep your stinkies away. Also, I'd switch detergents. ALL tends to build up really quickly in my experience. I recommend Sensi-Clean.<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts