Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE NO COMMENTS FROM THE ANTI-MEAT PEOPLE - SUPPORT ONLY

Hi. My aunt and uncle own a meat/butcher shop in central Oregon. My aunt mentioned to me that they have found a source for naturally grown beef (maybe certified organic - she has to check). If we had a co-op, they would abtain the beef, cut and wrap as wanted and I could pick it up.

I don't have a $$$ amount yet, I wanted to put out feelers and see if there would be a few people interested in sharing it for the freezer. It would certainly be cheaper than buying it per lb from Wild Oats! Last I checked they no longer take the Oregon Trail card, but if that is a concern, I can ask them again.

I grew up with them and can assure you that this is not a big cattle lot with inhuman practices, it is a small mom and pop operation that respects the animals.

LMK - Victorian

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi,
I'd be interested. Let me know the prices. I don't have a large freezer, so can't buy large amounts. Are the cows grass fed? No antibiotics, growth hormones, or overly processed feed, right?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wanted to update you all. Talked to my aunt and she said that the man had three beef and they are gone (sold)

They are going to call around and try to find another source. I am also looking on-line to see if I can find a beef to buy and have delivered to their shop. I will check you updated. They have a wholesale person, but the meat is way overpriced through them (think fancy restaurant meat).

I will let them know that we have several people that are interested though. I will keep you all up to date

V.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hi everyone. I just found a farm near Eugene called Winter Green Farm that sells organic grass fed beef. They said they had no problems with pink eye this year so they are also anti-biotic free this year. I got on their waiting list, thinking I'd have to wait till next year. But they called me up and I ordered a quarter beef. I think they are nearing their last slaughter date so we should be hearing from the butcher for pick up soon. If we have too much for our chest freezer, I'll let you all know if I need to sell some. I called around to several farms and this was the only one that came through, its getting a little late in the season, I think.

You can get more info from them directly, they might have more available, ya never know. They only sell whole, half, and quarters so if you all want to split up small amounts from that it might work out.

Winter Green Farm email: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KateMary
Hi everyone. I just found a farm near Eugene called Winter Green Farm that sells organic grass fed beef. They said they had no problems with pink eye this year so they are also anti-biotic free this year. I got on their waiting list, thinking I'd have to wait till next year. But they called me up and I ordered a quarter beef. I think they are nearing their last slaughter date so we should be hearing from the butcher for pick up soon. If we have too much for our chest freezer, I'll let you all know if I need to sell some. I called around to several farms and this was the only one that came through, its getting a little late in the season, I think.

You can get more info from them directly, they might have more available, ya never know. They only sell whole, half, and quarters so if you all want to split up small amounts from that it might work out.

Winter Green Farm email: [email protected]
Just saw your siggy! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thanks for the congrats everyone! I am just now coming out of denial and shock and getting excited. I am planning on a home birth with Ellie so thanks to everyone that has recommended her on past threads. I met her last week and she is awesome!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i meant to let you all know that their is an organic beef farm within the pdx urban growth boundary out here on the west side, i need to get the name from my neighbor again. they sell ground beef for $3.99/lb. and have all other cuts just as reasonably priced. they are located north of 26 off the sylvan exit.

congrats, kate!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.