Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loved breastfeeding all three of my daughters. The experience has changed my life. I've been thinking that I would enjoy being a Lactation Consultant, and wanted to know what was involved.

From my internet research, it seems you need to have 2500 hours of experience and a breastfeeding course before sitting for the exam. That's a lot of hours! I'm looking into becoming a LaLeche Leader to accure 500 hours a year, and work towards it that way.

Do I have it right?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
It is alot of hours! It took me years to accrue them. I got my hours through working in the NICU and with the L&D/PP moms. Every year I would count them up again and it seemed like it took forever! Do you get an automatic 500/year for being a LLL leader? I'm not sure either. I'm not a LLL leader.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siana
I am looking to be an IBCLC some day. I'm giving myself about 5 years to acquire all my hours and education.
That is awesome Siana... we sure need them around here..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I figure it'll take me five years to accrue the hours too. LLL gives you 500 hours a year if you're a leader. That'll be what I'll do for most of my hours. Then I'll take the week long course and take the test. I figure by the time my youngest is in Kindergarten, I'll be ready, which is actually good timing. Glad I'm starting now.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

I volunteered for WIC for 4 years, and 1 year as a paid peer councellor<sp>?

I took a pre test and then focussed my one on one training with my supervisor on the stuff that I was deficent in. (I had allready read tons of books and nursed 3 kids.)

There was a all day training at the state level.

Most of my training was reading and discussing problems and lack of knowledge with my peers and supervisor.

When I was hired I had allready been with WIC for 4 years so my employment training consisted of the training required by the county.

I loved my years at WIC, It is the only reason I didn't become a member of LLL untill now. I was so busy with WIC.

HTH.

Michelle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.