Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any toddlers who are late in the potty training? How long did it take to finally graduate out of diapers?

I have a 2 year old and he just doesn't seem ready. He still doesn't stay dry long enough during the day and night and he doesn't feel comfortable without diapers on. I wish I started earlier and now with another 5 month old, it gets harder to train him.

Should I be worried or this is something that parents can't rush into?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
dd is almost 2 1/2 and shes not interested. I'm really not worried about it. The potty chair is there and we talk about it but i don't push the issue. I figure she will use it when she is ready.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
2 or even 2.5 is not at all, in any way, shape, or form late for potty training. I think 3 is more the norm of when many kids are ready.
Thanks! That made me feel much more relaxed now.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My DD did not potty learn till she was just over 3. She had zero interest at all until then. However when she was ready she literally went from wearing diapers to going on the potty in one afternoon. We just said no more diapers and that was it. She was even dry at night.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
2 is definitely not late! My oldest was 4 (that's pretty late
), and my youngest is almost 3, and just starting to show signs of being ready.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i was wondering the same thing! My DD just turned 3 and she's not too into the potty. When i let her run around naked, she'll run and sit on the potty and go. But if she has a diaper on...she doesn't even bother.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
My daughter will be 4 next month and we are still not out of diapers yet. She started using the potty this spring and continued learning over the summer, but it has been a long road. She will pee in odd places and doesn't seem to want to use the potty. The other day she asked if she could pee on newspaper, and then she did it, and it got on the carpet of course. It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I wouldn't rush it if he's not ready -- and 2 seems really early to be ready. If they aren't quite ready, then it seems like you're just setting yourself up for a lot of accidents.

I think that boys are a little later at it than girls... my son will be three this week and it's only been in the last month or so that we have had success with him going on the potty. What that means is that sometimes we can put him on the potty and he pees or poops and there is much rejoicing. He's still wearing diapers. I think that he is learning to recognize that he is about to poop, although he rarely lets us know. He can tell us that he IS peeing or has just peed, but can't seem to sense a full bladder. We've experimented with big boy pants and usually either my husband or I have to point out when he's wet them -- he just doesn't notice.

The grandparents are chomping at the bit to see him potty trained, but if he can't control that sphincter.... well, what are you gonna do?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey Nonny!

We were in the three's for ds1 and now with Jack, he is using the potty some times and then back to diapers for days. I find following their lead the easiest way to go. It will happen one day, promise!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Nope, I don't think you are late at all!

I actually had what I thought was an early-bird. DD was just shy of 2, and pretty much fully potty-learned. Fast forward to this summer, she broke her leg, the diapers went back on (kind of out of necessity really - she just couldn't manage with the cast, it was still too new to her) and now she's had the cast off for a little over a month and refuses to potty. She's so against it that I've just dropped it for a while - I will probably wait and watch to see when her interest picks back up, but I doubt it will happen before 3.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My ds will be 3 at the end of November and we are not out of training pants..kinda cloth diaper-ish deal. This weekend we are trying letting him wear undies all day and pull up at night. He'll sit and go on the potty, but wont usually tell is if he needs to go, although sometimes he does. I'm hoping he'll have it down this week. But we shall see. We are not pushing him. He really likes picking out undies to wear. LOL

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
ds will be 3y in a few weeks and I have just started to work with him since he showed a bit of interest but so far all he wants to do is sit there any play.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our dd was 3 3/4 before I could call her mostly trained. She still uses a diaper at night, though. I started training at 2 1/2, hoping to be done before ds was born. Didn't happen!!! She had no interest until she was nearly 3 1/2, and it took months.

My advice is don't worry and don't push it. When they want to learn, they'll learn.

Oldermom to dd Annika (11/3/03) and ds Jackson (6/27/06)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My DD is a little over three and is now getting into the habit of going to the bathroom. We introduced the potty at 18 mos. I feel that we did the best in NOT pushing it with her. Now she loves it and only has an occasional accident (which usually devistates her). We still use dipes at night and she's okay with that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post
Any toddlers who are late in the potty training? How long did it take to finally graduate out of diapers?

I have a 2 year old and he just doesn't seem ready. He still doesn't stay dry long enough during the day and night and he doesn't feel comfortable without diapers on. I wish I started earlier and now with another 5 month old, it gets harder to train him.

Should I be worried or this is something that parents can't rush into?
2 is far from being "late" potty-trained! 2 (and just barely 2), is early, especially with a boy! 3 is definitely the average - so remember, for every kid you hear about that is potty-trained by 18 months, there is another one that is potty trained at 4 1/2, etc.

I nanny for a boy who is the same age as your ds (4 days older). A few months before he turned 2, he became really interested in sitting on the toilet, and would pee every time. He would ask to go and everything. So we went out and bought some underwear for him. He was physically not ready to be potty trained. He would sit on the toilet and pee, and then pee in his pants 5 minutes later, and then 10 minutes after that, etc. He didn't like constantly having to stop and change (who would?), so we went back to diapers.

Fast forward three months, and he started showing interest in his underwear again. So for the past two weeks he has been in underwear during the days with me. He is physically more ready (can hold his pee for longer than an hour now), but I am still cleaning up 3 accidents a day or so. If I ask him/remind him every hour or so, he is happy to go, and stays dry, and he does occasionally (1-2 times a day) ask to go on his own, but I still don't think he is physically ready to feel the urge soon enough to make it to the bathroom.

So, long story short, no, it is defintely not something you can rush into, you really do have to wait until the child is physically and mentally ready to potty train. And no, you have nothing to worry about. He's just barely 2.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.