Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, I would really like to pick your brains if I could. I currently work at a small hospital with horrible breastfeeding practices. There are a few CLCs (no IBCLCs at this hospital) that are interested in maybe starting some support programs etc. My boss gave me free reign with it the other day (who knows what she will actually let us follow through on, but I'm gonna run with it
). I have to meet with the other two nurses about their plans because I'm pretty new and I just can't take over-- I would be stepping on a lot of toes. Anyhow, I need to find out the policies in other hospitals-- for example is there a protocol in place for referrel to an LC? I had a clinical in a hospital that had a form listing reasons for automatic referrel and I wish I had a copy of that. Just looking for some input and chatting.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I'm not a LC, but I thought I'd share some BAD ideas...

First, this was my experience with my first son that was really positive: no one needed a referral to the LC, at least not for over-the-phone help. She also carried a pager and was available 24 hours a day (and was very good about returning phone calls very quickly, sometimes if it meant to get the gist of the problem and then say she was with a patient and would get back to me--which she always did) She had the authority to prescribe thrush meds (nystatin cream and suspension, gentian violet) for BOTH baby AND mom. She gave plenty of "other" information (not advice or recommendation, but information) regarding issues like starting solids, cosleeping, pumping/bottle feeding, mixing breastfeeding and formula feeding, etc.

Now, for the bad experience, my second son: this LC is seemingly so busy that she NEVER answers her phone. It takes her 72 hours to return a phone message, and a few have never been returned. She's only available during her normal work hours (which seem to vary...one day she's in at 8am the next not until 10am, and it's not posted so I never know) She has no authority to diagnose or prescribe meds for thrush. She claims that she is under orders not to discuss any issues other than breastfeeding, even if those issues overlap (in my case, my second son has severe food allergies and I went to her for help so I could go on a elimination diet to identify the triggers, and she said she couldn't help me...then later she gave me "under the table" a list of hidden dairy and soy)

I loved my first LC and relied heavily on her to help me, eventually becoming good friends. This second one...not so much. It's not her, it's the policies she has to work within. Or perhaps her unwillingness to fight to get those policies changed.

Good luck, hopsitals need more strong determined women like you!!!!!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.