Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I just called my health care company --United Healthcare-- today and found out they do not cover doula services :( They claim they are more for "emotional support" and serve no medical purpose. Ridiculous! But expected from them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, they told me that my flex dollars could pay for a doula if my medical provider writes a letter of medical necessity in support of a doula. Also, my doula has to be at least state certified. Does any one know of any state-licensed doulas in the Bay Area (I live in SF)? Maybe a mid-wife that provides doula services? Any leads would help. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Currently I am with CPMC, but am switching to UCSF so I can see a midwife. I have to deliver in a hospital because my living situation does not permit a home birth & the last independent birthing center in SF closed it doors. If a home birth was possible, I would chose that route. I have talked with other women that have had natural pregnancies at UCSF and I am hoping a doula will help me fulfill my birth plan. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks mamas!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
<p>Go into Natural Resources on Valencia. They have an entire binder of doulas and even a binder or free or low cost doulas (usually new or students). If you don't want to pay out of your flex dollars, go the student route!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was lucky enough to birth at the birth center before it closed. Such a loss for the community! There is also a birth center in Oakland - if you are ok crossing the bridge, that may be another option for you. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cindy</p>

·
Registered
255 Posts
<p>Doulas are not licensed by the state of CA.  I think your best bet would be to hire a licensed midwife (they are licensed by the state of CA) to provide doula care, though that might be prohibitively expensive.  Be aware that a midwife in CA who is a CPM (certified professional midwife...a national certification) and not an LM/CPM probably wouldn't work for your purposes.  You might look up "montrice" services in the bay area.  Essentially a montrice is a doula who provides basic maternity services, like checking dilation before you go to the hospital, and that can really only be done legally if they are also a midwife. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>You might look on the Bay Area Homebirth Collective website for midwives who provide doula/montrice care: <a href="http://www.bayareahomebirth.org/" target="_blank">http://www.bayareahomebirth.org/</a></p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts