Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly my Dad is in the final stages of Alzheimers. We know our Mom has it, but has not been officially diagnosed.

How do you cope? My family lives in St. Louis and we live in Southern Cal. So I get things through my brothers (who are their legal guardians).

Im not just losing one Parent, but two at the same time. Its so heartbreaking.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just want to offer you some support. My dad died from complications of Alzheimer's in 2000. It was a very difficult process, particularly for my mother, his primary caregiver. There are organizations out there that may be able to help you process.

You may already be familiar with it, but this is a website with a lot of resources for you.

www.alzheimers.org

I am so sorry for your pain. How are your brothers coping? Do your parents have outside caregivers? I am not saying your brother's pain is anymore intense than yours, however, being a firsthand witness can be utterly draining.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I am so very, very sorry... Alzheimer's is just so hard, so hard on everyone. My grandpa had it and so did DH's grandpa... and I'm an RN, so I've taken care of lots of people with it, both at home and in the hospital. If you can get ahold of a support group, you might find that very helpful, it seemed like even in my small town there were a lot of resources out there for helping families cope.

Is your dad at home, or in a nursing home? Do you have a home health nurse coming out to visit? If there is a nurse you can ask about these things, they should be able to help you, or get you in touch with a medical social worker who can give you more information on finding some support.

Take care...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.