Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting here as this area gets alot more traffic, plus not sure what section to post in.<br><br>
The 7 week old little girl I have partial custody over, was seen by the ped her bio mom takes her to this morning (we dont know who the ped is).<br><br>
She was told she has hip dysplasia in one of her hips maybe both.<br><br>
This was not found at birth, so we arent sure how it happened (no birth circumstances, or family history)<br><br>
Her mom told me she will have to be in a special car seat with the harness, or cast whatever they decide to give her. But I cant find any info cept a special seat that has been discontinued. Will she need a special car seat? Will the Dr provide it if so?<br><br>
Another thing is diapering. I looked at pics of babies her age in the harneses, and the cast and am wondering how in the heck I can still cloth diaper her, once she is in one. She will only be getting CD at my house. And from the looks of it, I would be better off with AIO's so as not to move her around too much putting on prefolds or seperate diapers and covers. I own 2 AIO's in her size and am hoping this isnt gunna be much of a problem cause I dont want her in sposies anymore than she already is.<br><br>
Thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
As far as the car seat issue goes. I have a friend who is a car seat tech and she recently had a mom of a baby with a cast for Hip Dysplasia ask her for help, and was able to get the baby fitted in a Britax Roundabout. I am sure the Britax Marathon would work too.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My friends little girl had to wear the harness and the doc suggested the Britax Marathon. Also, sometimes the hip thing just happens -- there is no reason for it.<br>
As for CD, it should be fine. My friends used them and she did use AIO. My only advice on this would be to get ones that are breathable and keep her cool this summer with the heat. My friend had a problem with heat rash and chaffing, and sometimes would have to use sposies awhile and then would go back to the CD.<br><br>
Goodluck!

·
Registered
743 Posts
My nephew was able to fit in a standard infant car seat in his Pavlik harness. He has the Baby Trend Latch-Loc seat, I'm pretty sure.<br><br>
They use sposies, so I can't help you with that.<br><br>
In my nephew's cause, I believe the hip displaysia was caused by positioning in the womb.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My brother had Hip Displasia. Back then(he's 25) they didn't use harnesses, the most common thing used was cloth diapers. Mom had 7 or 10 of them on him at a time. They ended up not working and he had surgery and was put in a cast. They must do the casts differently now because his cast was up the 1 leg that was affected starting at the ankle and then up to his waist. There was no way he would have been in a carseat, he was pulled around the house in a wagon.lol Mom put him in cloth diapers because that's all they had.<br><br>
Even though HD is supposed to be hereditary, my brother is the only one on either sides of my family who had it. My dr checks my girls for it still and they are 3, 4 & 6. I suspected the 3yo had it, her hips always clicked but my dr checked her alot and said she didn't. He did x-rays to make sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My friend's 6 month old is in a cast right now. They tried the brace first, but her hip displasia is so severe that the brace didn't help at all. When she was in the brace she could fit in a regular car seat. When they put her in a cast the hospital gave her a special car seat that looked like something from the 70's. She uses sposies, so I can't help you there. But I know that after several weeks of her baby being in the cast, there's waste down in the cast and she says it smells. She just saw the surgeon again yesterday, so this must be common. And for her, it occured in the womb. She uses a bean bag chair often to keep her comfy. She'll be getting another cast the first of June and after that will be in a brace again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts