Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,865 Posts
DH and I both have a few too many autistic traits for our DS1's diagnosis to be a coincidence...but we've never been diagnosed. I fit the criteria for hyperlexia, DH is more of an Aspie. We were great at academics, clueless at social stuff, and we both have big sensory issues; I've also struggled with low muscle tone in my upper body and general clumsiness all my life. When I was a kid, my darling insightful brother used to tell me, in all sincerity, not out of meanness, "Fay, you're book-smart, but you're socially retarded." As an adult, people occasionally ask me what country I'm from, but I've always lived in the USA...I just don't seem to follow the same social or conversational rules that other people take for granted. The funny thing is, since DS1 was diagnosed, DH and I have become much more social and we have been working hard on our conversational skills, for our son's sake. But it's tough to teach relationship-building skills to my child when I'm still learning those skills as an adult!

My father and DH's mother also fit the Asperger profile VERY VERY closely...plus DH's dad rarely ever talks. My mother-in-law even says that it is physically painful for her to look at faces.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
38. DH also scored 38.

When I was younger, my score would have been much higher; I've become more social since DS1 was dx'ed with autism. How's that for irony?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.