Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Hiya. Another suspected/self-diagnosed person here. Asperger's seems to suit me best, as I've never had any speech or language trouble--talked and read early, actually. It's just sensory and social. I was officially dx with ADHD in the mid-90s, but I think that may have been before the DSM criteria for ASCs changed, so I wouldn't have fit then, but I do now...does that make sense? NVLD has been suggested to me recently, but I'm still trying to puzzle out how exactly that's different from AS. If anyone's got good info on that, I'd be open to hearing it. Though it's far from official or definitive, any of those online quizzes for PDD and whatnot you can find, I'll score pretty high on.

So I don't have the same past experiences of being "treated" for autism or any of that, but I can definitely relate to the posts here about not being able to make friends easily, loving message boards because you have time to think over your words and can find people who share your obsessions, etc.

Oh, and my 5 yr old ds is on the spectrum. His official dx is just the blanket "ASD", because they thought he has tons of room for "improvment", whatever that means. I think Classic Autism would suit him though.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
NVLD is an extremely vague term. In the most widely-accepted sense, it means difficulty with non-verbal problem solving and communication. There is an overlap between this kind of NVLD and ASCs. However, NVLD can, paradoxically, manifest itself in problems with verbal communication. So if you're good at reading and writing and speaking but have problems with visual-spacial skills, you could be NVLD, but if you're good at visual-spacial skills but have trouble communicating in words, that could also be NVLD. It's not quite a catch-all diagnosis, but it's close.

Ahhh, ok. I'd definitely fall into the first category. Dh laughs constantly at my lack of spatial relations skills. It's so bad, I was trying to cram something in the fridge the other day, mad that it wouldn't fit, and he's laughing going "look! If you move the cheese, it'll fit perfectly!" Oh. Never even occured to me.
I can't put together puzzles or anything like that, they just don't make sense to me.

Does anyone else have problems with their fine motor skills? I always have, and ds does too, and I wonder if it's related or something seperate. It's one reason I'd consider pursuing a formal diagnosis-- to possibly qualify for my insurance to cover some OT. I really want to sew, and if I can get someone else to cut the pattern and fabric, I'm actually halfway decent at it, but I simply cannot cut a straight line to save my life! I did get a rotary cutter and mat for Christmas, I really need to try that out and see if it's easier than scissors.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
43 for me. Seems a bit high, but that could well relate to my next question...

Anyone else found that their "symptoms"/quirks are magnified while pregnant? I am soooooo much less social right now. Just can't deal with it. And I'm having major sensory issues with the baby kicking strongly. At times it drives me absolutely nuts!!! I know generally one wants to feel the baby moving a lot so you know they're ok, but oh man. For whatever reason, this kiddo quiets down when dh is close to me, so I find myself going to stand next to him to make her quit doing backflips, or whatever she's doing in there because I just can't take it any more!
It's really really uncomfortable!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.