Mothering Forum banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

· Registered
4,282 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I still very much see myself in all of this.

I tried to talk about this with DP, who didn't seem to believe me, and then made me feel like total crap. Or at least I came out of a few conversations with him feeling very let-down and frustrated. I haven't been this upset with him in a long time.
:

Whether or not I'm right about this, he could have been so much more supportive. Today I feel downright awful.

· Registered
5,777 Posts
bjorker my DH dismisses the concept of high functioning autism too (or at least in relation to our family). For him, you're either profoundly autistic or you're not autistic at all. However, interestingly, between my son (HFA dx'ed), DD (PPD dx'ed) and me (AS not dx'ed), he is more willing to believe I've got "issues" than he is willing to believe our kids do. But even then, he won't go so far as to accept that this is something real.

He did once ask me, "Why didn't you tell me this before I married you" and of course I told him I didn't even understand the concept of an autistic spectrum until recently.

· Registered
4,282 Posts
meowee. That sounds very frustrating.

I just wish my DP would have looked into it before saying those things. I've felt like such crap since then. I mean, just... seriously thrown off.
He's been a big proponent recently of all things therapy (which I already do) and seems to think that these things can be cure-able or something. One of his first comments to me was that I wasn't living in reality. And that he sees these things in himself in the past, but are much better now because he's worked on himself, and all that. I know which things he's talking about, and it's just not the same thing. He also made some comment about how he doesn't know me (simply because of this) which really upset me a great deal.

This ties into another question I have--
How do you deal with the idea that others might look down on you once they know you have aspergers? I absolutely detest that idea. Hopefully I'm not coming off all wrong by asking this... I'm just struggling with that thought and wondered if anyone has been through this, or have known this to happen, or anything like that.

Also, does anyone else make sounds that everyone else hears, but you don't? Once I saw that as a "sign" of aspergers, I was completely dumbfounded, in a way. I never had an explanation for that until now. I think I mentioned that in another post, but I make a sound at the end of my sentences sometimes that I can't even hear. Dp points it out to me sometimes, but I'll have had absolutely no clue that I even did it. I can't even look back and realise that I did it. It's weird...

Thanks again for letting me ramble here... this thing has really shaken me up...

101 - 103 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.