Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[this was posted in "midwives and doulas" & "finding your tribe"]

Hip hip hooray! I just got the phone call!

Let me explain: There's an organization "Suffolk County Perinatal Coalition" that trains women to be mentors to poor, mostly young single mothers(which I do), provides baby clothes, etc. Anyway-they give away scholarships once a year to four-six women to become trained as doulas. I got one of the scholarships! The training is on 6 saturdays (begining Sept 27th ending Dec 6th) from 9-4 and it's completely free for me. All I have to do is volunteer my services to 3 poor women per year.

Anyway...I was just looking for some other students, prospective or new doulas to connect with, communicate, all that.

Best of Luck and Best Wishes!

·
Registered
782 Posts
IT's alot of self sacrifice but if you have the time its wonderful. I still don't know if I can contine to doula. I got certified here where I live and decided to go through ALACE. With an almost 3 year old. Its hard. I always say I don't think I can do it, but after each birth I feel so happy. Its great to connect with others who offer labor support. I am also in the middle of trying to get my lactation educator certification through CAPPA, and they are great too. Be sure to hook up and vent with some other doula's who might, like me, get frustrated with doing hospital labors. Some hospitals and staff are wonderful and some are not. Oh Well....
Nothing but good things your way

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Lotus.
I'm a CCE through ALACE (well,not certified yet, but I do teach classes now an then). I know it's lot of sacrafice, which is what I'm most worried about. To tell the truth, I'm probably going to only do 6 births a year or so...at least till ds starts school (if we decide to send him-he's only 4 now) and I'm done with nursing school (hope to grad May 2005). And, yeah, unfortunately they'll probably be all hospital births, unless I try to network with a CNM I know (the only one I know who does HBs on Long Island)-that's an idea...

Anyway, Thank you very much for responding. About how many clients do you have a year, and where are you located? Good luck on the LC thing-I might do that, much later in life.

Best Wishes....

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hey, I'm also becoming certified as a CE through ALACE, and considering doula training with them or midwifery assistance training at the Farm. I have done labor assistance for women friends and I'm involved with the homebirth movement in this area. I have been waiting for my children to be grown enough for me to persue these things so I'm eager to get more involved now.

I have been a La Leche League leader for years and have just thought about persuing LC certification. What can you tell me about your experience with CAPPA?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi Kelly, well I am so slooow to find any clients. So far I've doula'd for friends (4) so I do not consider myself 'professional' by any means. That's why I want the education through ALACE, and since I took a doula training course where I live- Honolulu, I was able to get a grant to complete my training thru ALACE. yeah! Anyway, like I said, I am so slow to get a movin'.

And Hi Barb! I think CAPPA is great. I am a member and am taking their Distance Lac educator program. I was able to apply and receive a grant through them. It's actually a scholarship if you cant afford the money to just outright pay for it, which I think is great. I would never get the hours to become a LC, so I figure an educator is a great start.
OFF TOPIC, but I was reading some of the Homeschooling threads. My ds will be 3 soon and I am not crazy about sending him to pre or regular school. But he is such a social kid and wants to play with others so badly and keeps talking aobut when he'll get to go to school. I didn't put that into his head! I hated school-LOL! Anyway, I think I want him to scoialize more then school. I dunno. IT's expesive and limited here and even the teachers homescool or send their kids to private schools.
I noticed your name on those threads so just thought I'd bring it up and say HI.

Well ladies, look forward to hearing more about your pursuing roles in labor assistance!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
lotusbirth, what is the difference in the Lac Educator program and the LC? Maybe I should just check out their web site, but I'm interested to hear what you think of the programs also. Like you, I'm not so sure how I feel about working in a hospital, so for the time I'm simply hanging with my midwife friend.

CookieMonsterMommy, I use to work with young mamas in a similar program to what you are involved with. I did some hotline work and co-taught a childbirth education class. I tried to get some of the mothers to breastfeed, but never really had any luck with that.

(OFF TOPIC) Lotusbirth, I'm glad you are reading some of the threads on the homeschooling forum. I do understand the preschool thing with a first child, since they do seem to crave some social interaction outside of mom, around that age. A great alternative is to find a homeschool group that has family get togethers or activities that include young kids and join that. Also some churches have mom's groups with crafts and games for the kids. I don't think preschool is terrible if a child really wants to go, I just think there are often better alternatives.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I am an aspiring doula.I am at a serious crossroad right now because I am not actually certified but I'm looking to be.I'd like to go through ALACE they seem the most appealing to me, just a matter of saving the$ ya know? There is a training here near my hometown in Oct but I'm not sure I'll be able to attend by then.

My thing is , I am so passionate about helping women and have tried to make myself available to anyone who needed help that I have unintentionally developed into a "lay" doula of sorts.I have attended 1 homebirth already and I have 4 in the waiting.They are falling into my lap so I would really like to get something official.All the couples know I am not certified but don't care and of coarse I'm not charging anything.

So I'm not sure if I fit into this thread but I figured I may get some good advice

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1st I'd like to thank all of you sooo much for writing back!

I had my 1st seminar (of 6)-and I'm so psyched! A lot of it was redundant for me (as I'm already a CCE)-Anatomy and Physiology, stages/phases of labor, etc. But my instructor, Cathleen, if great...at the end we held hands, closed our eyes and just felt each others energy for the moment. Then we shared, at will, what was important to us. (words like "empowerment", "choices", etc came up a lot). sigh! It was just great and I'm very excited about it! I wish you all luck!

Best Wishes, Kelly

·
Registered
804 Posts
Where to begin??? I'm so glad you started this thread, Kelly. I have always been attracted to the birth field....I think its truly a calling. Right now......I don't know what particular path I will take or where it will lead me. I just feel compelled to read and watch anything I can about pregnancy and birth. Even though it disgusts me........I watch TLC's a Baby Story and the DHC's Birth Day, Maternity Ward and what not. Thankfully, I know that the more horrific a birth.....the quicker it'll get put on those shows....so, its tempered my irritation a bit. I get excited, though, when I see a homebirth or even a waterbirth on there. My little ones are just that "little", so it'll be awhile before I can kick this "calling" into high gear..........but I just wanted to give some encouragement to those who are beginning this path......hopefully, I'll be following y'all eventually......

barbara.....Ooooo, the Farm...how exciting!!! I devoured Ina May's new book as soon as it came out.

Milkymommi......I can totally relate. I'm a bit of a "lay" doula myself to friends and family.

CookieMonsterMommy.......your first seminar sounds awesome. I believe there is a very strong life force among birth attendants. You'll have to tell us how your next one goes.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I just contacted ALACE about attending their training this month in Hartford CT(about 1 hr from me) !I am so excited
I asked about making payment arrangements so the tuition was a bit more affordable.I'm waiting for a reponse,I'll keep ya all posted!!!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spy-I definately know what you mean about it being a calling. I can't see myself NOT involving myself in pregnancy and birth! Right now, for you I'd suggest ALACE's childbirth education course-it's all correspondence and you have as long as you need to complete the program. PLUS-(I have a little one too!) childbirth education classes are good because you plan them on your schedule (weekend, etc), no on calls.

Milk-Congrats! Hopefully they'll be able yo work somehting out with you! Let us know!

My next class is October 11th, and I AM excited! I'll definately fill you guys in! Hope to hear from all of you soon!

My Best,

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I agree that childbirth education is a good place to start, especially if you have small children and need to work around a schedule. I am working through the ALACE CE course now and the folks at ALACE couldn't be nicer to work with!

There is a doula training workshop being offered in my area in November that I really want to attend, but I'm afraid I can't come up with the money to do it so soon.
I'm trying to figure out a way to finance the cost without getting a credit card and charging it. I really really want to attend this course now and not wait until it is offered again in the spring.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barbara, try contacting them and seeing if they can set up a payment plan or something. If you're close with your family, try to ask them for money-$100 each from a few people will help a lot I'm sure! In the mean time-save up all you can-coins and all!

Good luck!

Best Wishes

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi all! Welcome Kelly. I've been wondering about y'all.....barb...are you going to be able to do the class in November?? Cookie....how was your class on the 11th.....wanna hear an update
Lotus......from whom were you able to get a grant for your ALACE training?? I'm trying to figure that part out right now. A payment plan wouldn't be that much of a help right now, as my hubby's been laid off for quite some time and we're barely surviving as is.... I need to find some way to have someone else pay for it. I've got some feelers out amongst the employment agencies (WorkSource, etc) around here and since Washington's economy has been amongst the worst in the nation.....there seems to be a willingness amongst the powers that be to help people get the training they need to find a job. If any of you have been able to get your ALACE training paid for...I'd love to hear how.

I've got the ALACE labor assistant manual coming (bought it from a doula who is no longer practicing)....so, at least I can pore over that and get a feel for the curriculum. I've printed out the reading list and have started to look for the books. Its quite extensive, isn't it??? I also just joined the ALACEstudygroup on yahoogroups.com Are any of you guys on there too? I was hoping it'd be a little more active than it has been.

Well...I'd better run....little ones are asleep...brief window of opportunity, y'all know how it is.....

Lisa

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
spyiispy, thanks for asking. It looks like I'm not going to be able to attend the Nov.11th doula training workshop, but they are planning another one for early Spring, so I'll be saving up to attend then. In the meantime I'm working on my ALACE Childbirth Educator training so that I will have that done by the time the workshop rolls around again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi,
I had my doula training through CAPPA in the summer. It was a fantastic experience, and I am looking forward to attending more births. I have attended 1, perfect home birth - and am going to be with my friend at the birth center in Febuary.
I really dont have the time to actively seek clients right now. I have a 3 year old and am just over 2 months pregnant. I figure I better work on my certification while I am pregnant...because after I have 2 I just dont see how I could doula, until the second was at least 2 years old. I know women who have done it, but It just isnt in me to spread myself too thin.
I have enough on my hands with my girl, home,husband and home business. If I take on any more, I'm afraid I'll sacrifice too much time.
At the same time, I am absolutely dedicated to helping women to have the birth they desire, and to supporting breastfeeding. I'm a councelor for the local nursing mother's network and a LA for LLL.
I'm a bit of a radical, and really have to learn how to tone things down for the sake of the more mainstream moms who attend our meetings...I'm working on it!

I'm planning a home-birth.
My first birth experience at the birth-center did not turn out as I had wanted.
To give you a brief idea of what I mean-
A few hours after I'd arrived, the 'medwife' suggested I get a little morphine to help me get some rest. I was appaled, and no, I did not get the morphine...but for someone who specifically went to the midwives for an unmedicated birth, this was an awful way to set up my experience.
If I'd had a doula, things would have been as I'd wanted, I'm sure-
That is one of the reasons I absolutely HAD to become a doula.

ANYWAY! I am not actively looking for clients, but if any come to me I will be happy to be with them through birth!
I'm in SE Pennsylvania. Need a doula?

email me!

Blessings,
Melanie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.