Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than myself? If so, how are you feeling?...

My sore boobs and exhaustion are making my resent my boob-addicted nursling just a tad.... why does he want to nurse all. the. time.? Is it wrong that I'm secretly looking forward to my milk drying up in the second trimester?...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Me! I'm ready to wean anyway though, and have been actively weaning. I don't have any discomfort because of the pregnancy though. I am also looking forward to have the drying up aid in weaning.

This is kind of new for me. My oldest weaned naturally and easily, and didn't nurse all that much anyway, so I never really had any desire to wean her.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
me! I'm still nursing my daughter who turned 2 in November. She doesn't really nurse that much and I feel like most of my milk is gone now.. I could see her slowly weaning over the course of the pregnancy. So far it hasn't been uncomfortable, thank goodness!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me! My DD will be 27 months on the 22nd. I think she's close to weaning though, we are down to one short nursing session a day and a few skipped days here and there. I'm kind of sad about it because if not pg I don't think we'd be weaning, but at 27 months I feel a sense of peace about it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've previously been only lurking in the DDC, but I'm a nursing mama with baby #3 due in December. DS will be 3 yrs. next month.

DD nursed all throughout (and for a while after) my pregnancy with DS. It doesn't seem like it's hurting as much this time. Apparently, my milk didn't dry up enough to stop DD, but I'm wondering if DS will be different. I know that if we make it to colostrum time, the game is up and he's in for the long haul.
Right now, DS is nursing first thing in the morning every day, and once or twice more.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Me too. DS2 is 18 mo, and we've been actively weaning for several weeks, so we're down to about once a day to every two days. And more than anything it's me being nostalgic and offering. I miss my baby being a baby. I am very ready to wean though. I have nothing but respect and admiration for mamas that tandem, but just the thought of doing it myself makes my skin crawl. I'm dealing a little bit with touched out issues anyway, and the thought of an older nursling being all up in my grill as well as a new babe gives me the heebie jeebies. I think we'll be well weaned by the time the baby is born though.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, is my DS (22 months) the only babe who still wants the boob all the time? Haha. I am trying (unsuccessfully, for the most part) to get him down to two nurses a day. He still nurses a few times a night too, but I think those will be okay to cut out once we are back in our permanent house. I don't think we'd be weaning yet if I wasn't pregnant, and I'm not in a super duper hurry to wean him now, except for the pain. Mostly my family (mom, of course) thinks that I'm doing damage to my (unborn) baby by nursing him.
My midwives reaction, however, was "that's great!".

If my milk dries up in the 2nd tri, he'll be just two, which isn't an unreasonable time to wean, I suppose.

Actually, before I knew I was pregnant, I joked with a friend that the only way I'd ever be able to wean him was if I got pregnant! Haha. Little did I know...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
my 2 1/2 year old son is still nursing
we will hopefully wean during the preg though, cause i am SO DONE. i did the tandem thing last time and i am not interested this time. that sounds so harsh but i cant stand nursing DS , it hurts!!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Me! DS3 is nearly 15 months old, so I'm hoping he keeps going. I've never been able to nurse all the way through a pregnancy before, though

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am! DD is only 9 months so I'm hoping to tandem if I can. I'm really newly pregnant so I'm not sure how the next few months are going to go. Today was the first day it kinda hurt for her to latch on. She usually un latches and latches 4 or 5 times in a session to look around, so I'm not looking forward to that!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Me, too. My 1.5 yo nurses a lot. I'm hoping he starts filling up at meals a bit more. He eats often throughout the day, and sometimes he'll vacuum up three servings of something like scrambled eggs, but often (like last night at dinner), he just plays with his food. I've always lost my milk at the beginning of the second trimester, so he's going to need to start getting his calories elsewhere.

My 4 yo dd is also still nursing, just to sleep at night (And she still wakes as often as my toddler
). In the past, I haven't stayed pregnant when I was still tandeming, and but once the older nursling weaned, the next pregnancy stuck. I'm not sure if it is coincidence or what. But the only way she will fall asleep on her own is if I'm nursing the toddler to sleep in the living room and she's curled up on the couch and just happens to drift off instead of being too cranky and keeping herself up.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I pump. DD, 9 months, was a preemie and we never really go the nursing thing down pat so she started refusing the breast towards the end of last year. My supply started really dropping when AF came back so I'm only getting a few ounces a day now. I really expect for my milk to be gone pretty much any time now but I'm hanging in there. My boobs haven't been too sore yet. I've really only had one pumping session where it felt icky but its fine now. Tiredness has probably affected my supply more than anything - even before becomming pregnant. DS, 5, likes to wake me up at night for various reasons so I don't get good sleep sometimes coupled with DD's normal nightly wakings and working 40 hrs a week.
:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I won't join the DDC officially until I have seen/heard a heartbeat, but I am theoretically pregnant and nursing a 20 month old 5-6x/day. He shows no signs of wanting to wean. My boobs aren't sore, but my golly does it ever hurt when he latches on. It's like getting stabbed in the nipple with a knife. I am not pushing for weaning anytime soon, but I'll be curious to see how my supply does and if he will wean if it dries up. That doesn't always happen though, does it (the drying up and the weaning)? No matter what, I do hope we can at least make it to his second birthday.

This is really silly, but the main reason I would LOVE for him to wean is that then his dad could take him on a trip back to visit family in upstate NY (two days' drive from us), and I could have a blissful week or two in the house without the menfolk to do some deep cleaning and decluttering without anyone dumping blocks all over the floor or demanding, "Up! Up! Read!"

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm still nursing my 20mo constantly (7-8 times a day) and my 3.5yo before bed. My boobs are getting pretty tender, and I would love, love, love it if the older one weaned completely! He started to wean around the end of my second pregnancy, but changed his mind when my milk came in after ds2 was born.
I'm ready for him to be done. And I'd like for the little one to cut back on nursing so much.

I'm really hoping nursing isn't as painful as it was my last pregnancy. The pain when ds1 latched on was so bad that I would get lightheaded and my vision would go black . . . ugh!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I'm nursing my son who just turned one year on Tuesday. This pregnancy was a surprise and I was hoping to give him a bit more nursing time, but so far he doesn't seem to be phased. He is still happily gulping down mama milk many times a day, so I'm really hoping that maybe my milk supply will stay a bit longer than when I was pregnant and nursing in the past. My nipples are a bit sore, but so far it is pretty tolerable.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I'm here. DD2 is almost 20 months old. I wean around 24 months. I need to re night wean her though. I had her done and then she got sick and now we have to start over. Totally bites.
DD1 nursed all through pregnancy and weaned after DD2 was born (they are 27 months apart). Heck, she helped out with starting labour.

I'm tired but that's nothing new. I have insomnia at night so I'm not going to bed until after midnight most nights only to be wide awake at 7 in the morning.
With DD1 once I got pregnant (with DD2) I didn't notice any change to my boobs and I was thrilled for that (DD1 increased my bust size by 2 cups in 20 days). I didn't get engorged either once DD2 was born. This time around though my shirts feel tighter. Not sure if it's because she nurses less throughout the day than DD1 ever did but it's bugging me a bit.
No soreness or anything though so that's nice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am still nursing my 3.6 year old. My nipples only hurt when she first latches on and when she hasn't nursed in a while. She has been pretty sick all week and I am glad she has been able to nurse. She is a committed nurser who says she will nurse until 5. So my guess is she is in for the long haul unless my milk suddenly starts tasting bad or something.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.