Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
5,090 Posts
okay ladies, a question- Would it be wise to do A & P I and microbiology in the same semester? I don't want my grades to suffer seeing as the nursing program is competitive BUT if I take both this semester than I can potentially start the actual program 8 months sooner. I don't work outside the home but I am responsible for all four kids most of the time. They will be in school and daycare from about 7:30-3:30, although for me there is driving time I'll be free of kids from 8:45 - 2:30. Oh, and I have to work part time at my kids school to earn their tuition. I don't want to overload and mess this up but the idea of being able to work 8 months sooner is tempting when we are saw pitifully broke.

· Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think I would go for it. I took A&P and Micro at the same time, as well as another non-prereq class and I was able to do well in all of them. Micro was the most difficult, but really, you just need to stick to regular study hours and you will do fine. It seems so worth it, to finish 8 months earlier. Good luck!

· Registered
5,090 Posts
I talked to my friend, who is an A & P instructor and he said the biggest mistake his students make is doing too much and he did not recommend it. I might also have to get a night job, so yeah, there's that. I'm trying to find another class to add but nothing is the right time since I have to pick my girls up by 3 and my husband wouldn't be able to watch them so I could go to night courses.

· Registered
77 Posts
First of all how far you have come is AWESOME! I have one toddler and I start my first year of nursing and I hope I can keep up my grades. I know I don't have any advice but congrats anyways

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Hi

I started my first semester of nursing school last week!!!! I am a single mom to a 6 year old and I have no family support at all. I am lucky because I get child support and I am able to pay a babysitter to watch my son a few times a week while I work. I have been assigned 17 ch of reading this first week only. Lucky, I have no social life so I won't miss that but it is kinda intimidating. I feel blessed to be in the program and feel I made the right choice!

PP on micro and a&p. it's probably too late but my bf is a&p and micro professor....you could definitely do it, if you don't work during the semester

· Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Congrats on starting your program goodygumdrops! Yikes, 17 chapters is a lot, but I'm sure doable. You will have to give us pointers on organizing time as you go, since I don't start until spring and could use some help in this dept. Good luck in your program!

· Registered
5,090 Posts
congrats on the start of nursing Goodygumdrops! How'd the 17 chapters go? That is a LOT of information!

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Thanks ;) Let me update you on my progress. So, there are about 50 students in my class. We are taking 3 classes, Fundamentals, Pharmacology/Dosage and Calc/and Health Assessment. We have 5 professors in the three courses. Our program is pretty welcoming to a variety of students, our first week they let us choose our clinical times...The earliest time I have to be at clinical is 9AM the first semester. I've taken 2 exams in Fundamentals. I got a 66 on the first and a 80 (still a C) on the second. 90% flunked the first test and the class average was 67. On the second the average was 78. I have my next exam next week. We've only had little quizzes in Pharm and we've all done well so far. As for Health Assessment, that class if ok too. Really the hardest one is Fundamentals and the only reason is the question are very tricky. Seriously, I believe that the majority of the class understands the content but many people are bad test takers and need to learn "how to think like a nurse". My days of expecting A's in everything are over! Honestly, if you do well on your prereqs that I don't think anything we're learning is particular hard, it's just time consuming.

· Registered
16,471 Posts
I just wanted to encourage everyone to hang in there! Nursing school was the hardest thing I have ever done. I got into the accelerated program which didn't help. But I took what I got. Anyway I graduated with 3.8 GPA, took 5 months to find a job. I have been working at a major children's hospital with children with complex medical issues for 2 years-- tracheostomies, ventilator dependent kids, most are also g-tube and total care, some on TPN and lipids full time. We also get our share of RSV and pertussis babies, kids with chest tubes, and partially repaired cardiac kids. Nursing is very rewarding, but very hard! I never thought I'd do peds- always expected to work with adults on a med-surg unit. Lives are literally in my hands and that's scary, but it's also satisfying to see (most) patients get better.

I use a lot of what I learned in nursing school-- but a lot of it I don't use. I don't have most lab values memorized anymore except the ones we use a lot on my unit (blood gases being one of them). But what I did learn in school was to watch the good nurses I followed around, and learn their bedside manner. Because you have to fake it until you make it. :) WhenI was still very new, I was assigned the care of a very complex patient whose parents were hard to please. After introducing myself and spending about 20 minutes with their child, they said, "At last! We have a nurse who is experienced and knows what she's doing!" I just smiled and said thank you. I was then asked to be this patient's primary nurse for the duration of their long visit. What they didn't know was I was asking my co-workers lots of questions, and going home at night and studying what I needed to know to fully understand this patient's condition and needs.

· Registered
3,891 Posts
I'm also in nursing school. I've just begun my 3rd semester, with 3 semesters to follow. For Spring, we are taking our second Patho/Pharm combined class, our second Medical/Surgical class in the series and Health Promotion. We will also be having 2 clinical placements! It has been hard, but oh so satisfying, and I am trying to learn all that I can, and prepare myself for continuing on to work for my CNM as the ultimate goal. My children are now 6,8, and 9, and have made my life an absolute joy. They are so helpful and give me strength everyday to continue to follow my dreams.

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Hi August, welcome!

I am starting my second semester! Made it through the first with 2 B's and 1 A. I would say that the content is not difficult, its the amount of work that needs to be done.

This semester is going to be much more difficult. I have Med/Surg 1, Psych, and Research. I'm going to start studying asap.

Hope you all are doing well! Including this semester, I have 3 more to go!

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Currently in the 2nd semester of a 11 month Practical Nursing program. Very intense, very fast paced.
SI have a love/hate relationship with Nursing school!
Definitely gonna take a year or 2 before I go back and get my RN degree....

· Registered
20 Posts
Another nursing student here :)

Currently almost done with my second quarter for an ADN program.

So far I have not found nursing school horribly hard, just very time-consuming, and a huge juggling act with two kiddos. Thus far I have found that I am really loving nursing.

My intent is to work 3-4 years after I graduate and pursue nurse-midwifery or some form of advance practice. I am hoping to skip the BSN as I already hold a bachelors in biology. I have actually completed all the pre-med requirements as well, but the life a doctor has to live has never appealed to me.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
It's been a long time since I signed in to mothering. I apply for the nursing program at the end of this semester. This is also the first semester that they require the applicants to take the TEAS V test. I was wondering if any one else has taken it, what study guides you used, and if that was helpful. TIA.

Goody gumdrops- How exciting to have one semester under your belt.

Kris, I plan on taking a break between my BSN and masters. I'll do the AS program to get my RN, work and go to school part time for my BSN. The community College I am going to just started a program with the State University where some of the courses are concurrent.

Olive & Pimento, that's awesome. I can't wait to be there.

Welcome, vargasroxy and 102212.

I'm a little worried about the program just because this semester of regular college is overwhelming. I am taking 5 classes, I have four kids, Hubs, who promised he would be able to pick up the slack got a new job and I don't see him at all during the day. Leaves in the morning, comes home after the kids are in bed. It probably didn't help that I had two weeks when I couldn't be at the school studying because I had 1 or 3 kids home AND that it was right before mditerms, AND I had two weddings to attend AND family in town for a week. But, hell week is over and I got through it. So, I guess I can do anything.

· Registered
62 Posts
I am an RN

Very happy to say I am done with Nursing school it was a long challenging haul. Very long very challenging for me and my family.

I did an ADN program, took the Hurst review a month after graduation and passed the NCLEX 6 weeks later.

I have 3 kids preshool-elementary aged during my 3 yr part time program.

Now I am looking for jobs. All the hospitals want BSN.

ugh. When I started school the BSN was not required now it is mandatory for hospitals in my area. I just got my first per diem RN job (even per diem made me sign a contract that I will start a BSN program by next year). I feel so validated for being able to use my RN
though!

good luck to all. feels so good to be back with my family.

Eve

· Registered
1 Posts
Female Medical Workers

I have completed my radiology technician degree in 2010 and now it's almost five years i am working in a private clinic. several of my class fellows where get married during the study.Even one of my best friend (Carajames) had married. According to her- In start it's quiet difficult to manage the study with the married life but after the few months things becomes normal and things can easy to carry. She missed her semester but after that continuous work out help her to find the degree at the end.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Now I am looking for jobs. All the hospitals want BSN.

ugh. When I started school the BSN was not required now it is mandatory for hospitals in my area. I just got my first per diem RN job (even per diem made me sign a contract that I will start a BSN program by next year). I feel so validated for being able to use my RN
though!
Yup - that's my problem now. I passed the NCLEX-PN exam back in october, had my license in november, and i still can't find work. everyone wants RN over LPN... in as much the same they want BSN over ADN
*ugh*
about 10 days away from finishing my 2nd semester of prerequisites to transfer into a RN program

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.