Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so tired today that I'm shocked I can even see the computer screen straight. Here's my situation. My 2yr old daughter use to be calm and loved listened to what I said and followed through with what I told her to do. For about 2 wks now her naps have been non-existant. She would fight for hours until I called the Pedi and he suggested that I no longer schedule a nap time but allow her to rest time and if she wanted to fall asleep, let her. Well now she will eat dinner around 6:00-7:00 and fall asleep in her high chair and still gets up about twice a night. During the day she is so wired with energy. She eats breakfast and eats lunch and nibbles between then she will start to get tired so I will suggest resting on the sofa (doesn't work), resting in her bedroom (doesn't work)..I even tried placing her in her highchair to color thinking she would fall asleep...nope
Now I am soooo tired today. This has been going on for 2wks now. She will be wired with energy. I will take her outside to play, but it's limited because it's muggy, humid and hot outside and I have a 7wk old to care for as well. I've noticed she will laugh when I say ouch when something happens to me or anyone else. She throws things now
she didn't do that before this 2 wk period. When I do discipline her like I always have she now second guesses me and it's frustrating
: Is this a stage that will go away? Do I just need to continue to be consitant on what I'm doing like I did before she hit this stage and it will pass or what? I am so exhausted and I will NOT let her CIO for naps and I will NOT spank her and force her to do anything she isn't comfortable with. I refuse to belittle her and make her listen when she is more interested in jumping up and down and screaming HOORAY at the top of her lungs...So how do I keep my cool and my patience with this throwing & laughing behaviour?

Thanks Mamas,
Mandi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you're tired for more than one reason! As I read your note, I wondered what had changed in the past several weeks, then you said it yourself. a 7 week old. Sounds like your 2 year old may be jealous? She's learning to share you and feels like the only way is to act out? Doesn't solve the problem, but my son misbehaved shortly after my daughter was born. I found that Hug therapy worked well. Every time he acted out I informed him that his behavior was not appropriate then before we got into an "argument" I would shift into "hug mode" and chase after him for a hug and perhaps a tickle. It kept me from getting too uptight (as I was already there) and changed the tone of the exchange. Others may think it supports their behavior, but I didn't find it to be so. It was a phase. Hugging made it easier to get through.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Well, I have only one child, 27 mos, and this sounds exactly like her. She stopped napping on a regular basis at 18 mos and for the last month or so has been what I would call a stinker: throwing, hitting, saying no to everything, finding any attempt at discipline hilarious, getting her feelings hurt real easy, attacking the dog one minute and loving him the next. When this happens, I have found the only thing that helps is to talk to her about what she wants. This is hard but it helps. Also, I find another activity immediately. As for naps, well, I pop in a dvd almost every day before dinner (early) and she rests while we get dinner ready. We eat dinner not later than 6 and sometimes she eats before us since she goes to bed very early on most days. She also wakes up sometimes still in the middle of the night. On some nights, she will sleep 14 hours straight and then stay up late the next night. We are having one of those nights right now! (She is watching Finding Nemo while I have some quiet time).

I guess what I am trying to say is that it must be a phase.

And, I know tv watching is not the greatest but realistically, if it is only a phase, then it won't last forever and helps us all rest and relax.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Moving this to Toddlers . . .

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by audone
Every time he acted out I informed him that his behavior was not appropriate then before we got into an "argument" I would shift into "hug mode" and chase after him for a hug and perhaps a tickle. It kept me from getting too uptight (as I was already there) and changed the tone of the exchange. Others may think it supports their behavior, but I didn't find it to be so. It was a phase. Hugging made it easier to get through.

I do this with Sprogly, and it's working very well. Especially with hitting...it's the only thing that seems to be effective. He's taken to hitting me if I keep him from doing something he wants to do, and I just gently grab his hands, wrap him in a bear hug, while saying very softly into his ear, no, we don't hit. I do the same thing when he attacks the cat. Wrap him in a bear hug and say, we pet the cat nicely (and then I pet the cat nicely). If I scold him when he's angry (say, if I'm on my last nerve), it just makes him angrier. And you're right, audone, it just makes me angrier if I scold him, whereas if I hug him, that feeling dissipates for both of us.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mamas!! I'm realizing that the time I spend with her has gotten shorter since our baby is getting older and requiring more of my time. The baby is going through a growth spurt and she wants to be on the boob all day and then by the time I put her down to nap I'm ready for ME time..I need to stop being so selfish and realize that my 2yr old is getting the short end of the stick here! She has been watching MORE t.v. than she used to and I know that's my fault. I just turned the t.v. off and turned on the radio and now she is playing in her room and the infant is asleep. Still today I'm exhausted. When we brought the baby home she acted out for about 2wks then it was over with. Now she has started to do the same thing...I wouldn't doubt it's jealousy. Thanks so much...It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Mandi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts