Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already been through a few pregnancies as an AMA, and sadly actually had two later losses but my good pregnancies although including a bit of high b/p(I swear half of it was the whole stress of AMA and our losses), went great and I felt great and the deliveries were great.

I just want to be a normal pregnant person and be treated like any other pregnant mother. No extra tests. No extra appointments. But some almost make me feel like I'm not being responsible for such an attitude.

I don't feel old. Right now I feel great. If something changes, then fine, we'll deal with it as it comes, but otherwise just let me enjoy being pregnant. It's the main reason I haven't even called for an appointment yet at 8 weeks because I just want to enjoy this time. I take my vitamins, I exercise, eat healthy, and am just trying to stay mellow.

Anybody else feel the same way, or am I odd.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Kat there is thread on here for those of us PG over 35.

I am almost 42 and PG with my 3rd. I had 2 losses while trying for this baby.

I have a midwife and she doesn't make me feel old. My GP (who I normally LOVE) makes me feel ancient every time I am PG (5 times since the age of 34).

I'll bump the other thread up so you can find us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just wondering - what extra tests/extra appointments do you mean?

I'm in my third AMA pregnancy (turning 41) and I have never had any extra appointments due to being AMA. I've always chosen not to do amnio and have never been pressured about it. I've always chosen to do the first trimester screening, even in my pregnancies that were before I was 35 (the first time, it was way back when still in clinical trials but we participated). So my pre-35 and post-35 pregnancies were relatively the same as far as appointments go, ouside of the individual complications that occurred in each (this is my fifth pregnancy). I've had my fair share of complications in pregnancy and see a peri (to monitor my clotting issue and lovenox treatment - only reason), but it has never had anything to do with my age. I'm relatively healthy, and my OB has no issue with me being old. I'm hoping for my fourth vbac this summer.

So anyway, tell us about the extra stuff!

- a curious old hag

p.s. I'm sorry about your losses. By later do you mean later in pregnancy?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
What is AMA? I'm sure I must know but I can't think of it right now.

I'm also an over 40 mom this time around. My last child was born when I was 33, so this is my first experience as an "older mom." So far I haven't been treated as an older mom but I think that's mostly because most people think I'm much younger than I am anyway.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This will make you all laugh - when I first read AMA, I had my doula-brain on and thought, "Against Medical Advice," which isn't far from the truth with the way some older mamas are viewed.

AMA is Advanced Maternal Age.

I am poking around on here because I am 35 and just got a BFP, but I am not believing it is true for awhile yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowmom5 View Post
Just wondering - what extra tests/extra appointments do you mean?

I'm in my third AMA pregnancy (turning 41) and I have never had any extra appointments due to being AMA. I've always chosen not to do amnio and have never been pressured about it. I've always chosen to do the first trimester screening, even in my pregnancies that were before I was 35 (the first time, it was way back when still in clinical trials but we participated). So my pre-35 and post-35 pregnancies were relatively the same as far as appointments go, ouside of the individual complications that occurred in each (this is my fifth pregnancy). I've had my fair share of complications in pregnancy and see a peri (to monitor my clotting issue and lovenox treatment - only reason), but it has never had anything to do with my age. I'm relatively healthy, and my OB has no issue with me being old. I'm hoping for my fourth vbac this summer.

So anyway, tell us about the extra stuff!

- a curious old hag

p.s. I'm sorry about your losses. By later do you mean later in pregnancy?

Well first I will say, that my OB is very good and goes along for the most part with my wishes, even though he laughs at how different I am them most moms who want the repeated u/s. They do an automatic dating one at your first appointment which I never had in my pregnancies when I was younger. It is also protocol in their practice, that he did allow me to opt out of for BPP and NST after week 32 for AMA moms over 40.

My two later losses were at 18 and 19 weeks. Two seperate causes, nothing to do with age or my health.

They strongly encourage the NT and blood work in first trimester and then of course depending on the results an amnio.

Maybe my post shouldn't have just been geared to AMA ladies. The truth is when I had my first child 20 years ago, the only test given was the anatomy scan at 18 weeks, and even that was optional. That was it, unless a problem arose.

Now the protocol is early dating scan. Then NT test at 12 weeks. Appointment for level 2 scan with perinatologist at 15-16 weeks to look for problems and if found then possible amnio. Usually because they do that u/s so early, they will say they couldn't see the heart clear enough etc. etc. so come back in 4 more weeks.

Then GTT at 28 weeks. Then as I stated starting at 32 weeks because of age BPP and NST. Also will not allow you to go past 41 weeks, which I've cut it very very close the last few times.

Anyways, so it's a combination of increased testing in general, and then a little extra thrown in because of age, and it just can often suck the joy right out of pregnancy, when they see markers, and borderline results etc. etc.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Kat there is thread on here for those of us PG over 35.

I am almost 42 and PG with my 3rd. I had 2 losses while trying for this baby.

I have a midwife and she doesn't make me feel old. My GP (who I normally LOVE) makes me feel ancient every time I am PG (5 times since the age of 34).

I'll bump the other thread up so you can find us.
Thank you so much:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.