Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the Amish doing during this insane pandemic?

Are they wearing masks, gloves, using hand sanitizer, staying home, and staying six feet apart?

Or are they smart enough to ignore it all? After all, they do not have TV, radio, or internet.

If they were dropping dead like flies, we would be hearing all about it, I am sure. But I hear nothing.

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is they are isolating, staying home, or amongst their own community.
As they always and should do. Smart.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Amish have a one up on others...they know how to do things without modern equipment...no school no problem....no food at the store, no problem, they grow their own. No building supplies handy, no problem as they barter.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
How are the Amish doing during this insane pandemic?

Are they wearing masks, gloves, using hand sanitizer, staying home, and staying six feet apart?

Or are they smart enough to ignore it all? After all, they do not have TV, radio, or internet.

If they were dropping dead like flies, we would be hearing all about it, I am sure. But I hear nothing.

Doing great, they still wear face masks going into stores. Other than that not much change for them, just some special items (vitamins (C/d) and coffee/teas) they gather at stores.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm seeing some news stories that the Amish/Mennonite community in Lancaster, PA has achieved herd immunity to Covid. Unfortunately, all seem to have some sort of political slant to them. Nonetheless, it's interesting, as a 90% infection rate is quite remarkable. This article tries to be more nuanced, but in doing so makes some bizarre statements about herd immunity. If these were made in a different context, for example with regard to vaccines, they would be considered somewhat heretical, I think.

Virus Estimated to Have Impacted 90% of Community
The administrator of a medical center in the heart of the Amish community in New Holland Borough estimates as many as 90% of Plain families have since had at least one family member infected, and the religious enclave achieved what no other community in the United States has: herd immunity.
This is the one of the quotes about herd immunity that I found surprising.
"Herd immunity is only true at a given point in time," said Eric Lofgren, an infectious disease epidemiologist at Washington State University. "It's not a switch that once it gets thrown, you're good. It'll wear off."

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
think that it is a least what we must to do
and medical personnel STAYING HOME WHEN SICK!!!!!!
another worker went to work THIS WEEK in the hospital where my sister works WITH AN ACTIVE CASE OF COVID..
who is TRULY SPREADING THIS SHIT?????
NOT the unmasked person outside thats for damn sure.

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hyacinth - the "polio outbreak" mentioned in your article was diagnosed in a stool sample in an Amish child with NO symptoms of polio. That is not an out break. The polio virus is found in the gut.

The "measles outbreak" was in adopted children from the Philipines in the Amish community.

CORRECTION - I believe the CDC defines an outbreak as three, so maybe these were both an outbreak, but well contained.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hyacinth - the "polio outbreak" mentioned in your article was diagnosed in a stool sample in an Amish child with NO symptoms of polio. That is not an out break. The polio virus is found in the gut.

The "measles outbreak" was in adopted children from the Philipines in the Amish community.
I had to go back and review the article. I must have skimmed that part, as ! was more interested in the Covid herd immunity bit. I choose this particular article to post because all the others I had seen had way more spin to them. I certainly don't think this one is written without bias, quite the contrary, but it was less so than others.

I looked up the 1979 polio outbreak they referenced. It was an OPV type 1 virus imported from the Netherlands that infected many Amish communities and resulted in 13 cases of paralysis. There was a separate incident in Minnesota in 2005 that affected just one Amish child who was immunocompromised. Although 3 other children were also tested and found to be infected, they exhibited no symptoms. (The majority of polio infections are, actually, mild.) They were never able to find the source of the virus in that instance.

I think the author was just using those examples as a way to imply that the Amish may decide to get the Covid vaccine. Hence, an example of the article's spin/bias.

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I was referring to the MN incident of 2005. 1979 incident reads like the Sabin live oral polio vaccine reaction, but I am aware that there are religious groups in the Netherlands that avoid vaccines - I did not know they brought it here.

Thank you for your research.

Reactions: Deborah
1 - 13 of 13 Posts