Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started doing daycare at my home for one family with children the same ages as mine. So far, its been great. I'm actually really enjoying it, but I've gotten a few of the "Oh, you sit around with kids all day?"- type comments (umm, yeah, I don't know about you but I hardly ever "sit"!). Any other mama's on here that do childcare for other families?

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I am in the process of opening a licensed home daycare. I have two boys I watch now (who also happen to live here with their mom), and I have an infant starting part-time in September.

I am looking for any courses or trainings I can take, as I am making up a binder with certificates from trainings to serve as my "resume."

·
Registered
929 Posts
I do..have been for almost a year...and get the same comments all the time...

Yeah, I sit around all day...sure, uh-huh...

I had had a particuarly bad, long day with the kiddos and mine was in an off mood and someone asked me this question (in the next booth while we were out to dinner which I thought was rude to begin with...) and it was along thelines of " sit around with kids all day?? no way would i ever do that...how boring" to which i put down my fork and turned around (dh wanted to crawl away i think) and said "yes, i sit around with kids all day....5 under 4 actually, sometimes 6 but sitting means playing with dollhouses, number and letter games, tea parties, coloring, learning, etc....so yes, i sit, but i do, and act, and love and kiss booboos and care....and parents love me for it and my kiddos are happy when they leave and happy to see me and miss me if they miss a day....so happily i sit..i like my job. you must not like yours..." she was shocked, if i remember right her husband smirked at her....we paid and left the server a nice tip....

Currently I have 2 sisters (3.5 and 21mo) M-F 8-5ish
a sweet boy (2.5) PT, days vary 1030-430
a brother and his baby sister (3 and 9wks) PT, 3 days 8a-1p

Never anyone at once...I am allowed that many but it's too much...everyone gets the attention they deserve and need...

But I get those comments alot, even when I mentioned that sometimes I have 5 (including dd) under 3 in my home...I'd like to see them come and jsut sit....hahahahha

·
Registered
383 Posts
I take in children privately.
I only sit when I am at the computer, but I dont play with the children either. Unless it is to kick a ball around a bit, or read stories.
I like them to invent thier own games and play creatively.
They are welcome to help me with inddor and outdoor house work though, and they do. We have an acreage so are usually quite busy exploring.

Usually it goes pretty well. I find it hard on dd to have to share me sometimes. And one of my families do not practise AP at all. They spank(not on my property) belittle, tease, push thier children beyond thier comfort levels, and feed alot of junk. It can be a little challenging at times transitioning those children back into our lives after the week-end or a holiday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sort of on topic here... i just started 'home daycare' about two months ago. i am a SAHM with a 17 month old, and a friend of mine asked if i could watch her daughter for 2 half-days a week. mind you, i am not licensed, but she is comfortable with my parenting style, so she asked me (she also pays $10/hr under the table) to watch her 3 month old while she started back to work.

so far, so good, however, i was curious to see what policies others have, i.e. illness (what if my dd is sick, or what if theirs is?), and the like.

the parents and i have talked about many basic issues like safety, food, water, rest, etc. but i am unclear on the illness and discipline factors. any input here? i usually just do what the parents want, even if it doesn't quite match our style (ex: they only want her to drink a certain brand of purified water, which we do not have and i don't think my dd needs to drink, since our water is filtered. small detail to me, but it's HUGE to them, so of course i do as asked!)

anyhow, my dd is now coming down with a cold, so i wasn't sure what to do. instincts tell me to call the parents and tell them and let them be the judge of whether or not they want to bring their dd here.

sorry for the rambling disorder of this message...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been in child care for the last 24 years!!! I've been a licensed in home provider, I've worked in a center (yuck!), I did child care for a work out place, and I'm currently a nanny...for the last 15 years. I absolutely love what I do! I still get some of the comments, but I don't let them bother me. Truth is taking care of children is very hard work...but I also have so much fun at my job! I do get paid to play...however, I get paid to get puked on too! Not much sitting goes on though...

Good for all you mama's! Know you are doing a wonderful, worthwhile job!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.