Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post

You are so welcome!! Sometimes fluffy mama's get looked down on during pregnancy - I even had a "friend" tell me I was endangering my unborn child's life by being "obese" and asked me how could I do such a thing, told me I was stupid and careless, ect... Broke my heart
I didn't have any sugar issues with my DD, and no BP issues during my entire pregnancy.

That is a god awful thing to say to anyone let alone your friend *hugs*

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

· Registered
256 Posts
I haven't taken any belly pics yet either, but at 16 weeks, I'm still not really showing.

I'm another fluffy mama. I had actually lost from 320 lbs down to 234 when I found out I'm pregnant. Since then I've managed to maintain my weight--the scales bounced up a few pounds the last week, but that's mostly from Christmas eating I think.

I just switched from my doc to a midwifery practice and haven't met with them yet. Not sure what the midwives will say, but my doc was cool with me maintaining my weight as long as I wasn't actively dieting. I'm hoping to gain between 10 and 15 pounds.

I actually have a lapband, but it's unfilled right now so I can pretty much eat normal amounts. I'm used to eating less AND I seem to have lost my sweet tooth, so eating well has been fairly effortless so far. Now that the first trimester food aversions seem to be fading, we'll see how the next few months go!

· Registered
273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by curvyred View Post
I haven't taken any belly pics yet either, but at 16 weeks, I'm still not really showing.

I'm another fluffy mama. I had actually lost from 320 lbs down to 234 when I found out I'm pregnant. Since then I've managed to maintain my weight--the scales bounced up a few pounds the last week, but that's mostly from Christmas eating I think.

I just switched from my doc to a midwifery practice and haven't met with them yet. Not sure what the midwives will say, but my doc was cool with me maintaining my weight as long as I wasn't actively dieting. I'm hoping to gain between 10 and 15 pounds.

I actually have a lapband, but it's unfilled right now so I can pretty much eat normal amounts. I'm used to eating less AND I seem to have lost my sweet tooth, so eating well has been fairly effortless so far. Now that the first trimester food aversions seem to be fading, we'll see how the next few months go!
So you lost the weight before you got pregnant? How do you turn off the lapband? That is interesting.

So far in my pregnancy (34 weeks.) I lost 15 lbs and gained about 10 back so far.

I lost 15 because of first trimester woes and less sugar in my diet.

I am hoping this time to have my PPD in check so that I don't gain more, as well as all the other reasons to take care of depression.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Hi! I'm 5'9" and right now around 305-310. Well into morbid obese land -- probably actually super-morbid obese.

I was 290 when I got pregnant with #1; ended the pregnancy at 335
Started #2 at 315; ended at 345.
Started #3 at 290; 31 weeks righ now so we'll see where it goes.

No complications with #1. BP between 100/60 and 120/80; 1 hour glucose test 105.
No complications with #2. BP between 105/60 and 122/85; 1 hour glucose test 101.
No complications with #3 so far; BP same range, glucose 82.

Baby 1 was 7 lb 1 oz; baby 2 was 8 lb 7 oz. Two beautiful natural labors.

In other words, I had easier, healthier pregnancies than many of my friends who are in the normal weight range. So stop treating me like a high risk pregnancy!

Annette -- I don't have a lapband, but my SIL does, and I did some research for her before her surgery. Unfilled, it's just a loose ring around the top of your stomach. Since it exerts no pressure, it doesn't affect how much you eat. When they put liquid in it, it gets tighter and narrows the channel for food to get into your stomach so you cna't eat as much as fast.

· Registered
148 Posts
Add me to your group as a "fluffy" mama... though I'm far more than fluffy! lol...

I'm Heather, I'm 39 years old, 5'2" and... 270lbs. Yes, the heaviest of the bunch but I too am one who always floors people when I tell them my weight because they never believe me and always guess me at 30+lbs less than what I weigh (thank God...lol). I think I carry it really well, but still, I'm off the charts as far as what healthy is.

When I wanted to try to get pg, my OB said "I don't care what your weight is. Your BP is great, your blood work is great. You have a greater chance of GD and a c-section, but I see just as many normal weight patients with those conditions as I do overweight ones. Don't worry about it, and go get pg with my blessing". (and as it turns out, I found out that he himself had weight loss surgery a few years earlier, so he totally understood "the plight of the larger person"...lol)

So with his blessing, I got pg literally within 2 months.

Weight at time of conception: 271lbs
Weight at time of first appt: 265lbs (bad morning sickness)

I gained no weight through my pregnancy up to the third trimester, when I was diagnosed with GD. I controlled it with food until the last 2-3 weeks when I needed a tiny bit of medication. My daughter continued to grow just fine.

Weight at time of delivery (scheduled c-section because they thought she'd be huge): 271lbs
My daughter weighed 8lbs 14oz.

My weight 5 days after having her: 248lbs

Due to my GD, I'd actually lost 20lbs in my last trimester from eating really well (I had no desire for sweets at all either, through the entire pregnancy, so that helped too). However I didn't know I'd lost weight, other than people constantly telling me, "your belly is growing but the rest of you is shrinking!"

Here is a slide show of my belly shots from that pregnancy. The first one was taken when I was 14w, when I just about started to show. The next are at 16w, 18w, 22w, 26w, 30w, 32w, and then 38w. I can honestly say that I wore pregnancy really well and looked better and better with each passing month (that is, once the morning sickness ended...lol).

Heather's Belly Shots

This time around I was 274lbs when I conceived and I'm at 268lbs now, due to my morning sickness (which I'm actually taking Zofran for this time and I'm STILL sick!). I have wanted to start eating as if I had GD already, but with my morning sickness, I have to eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat it. Thankfully I have no desire for sweets this time either, but as soon as I can tolerate a variety of foods (and actually smelling food cooking) I'll be going back on my GD diet, only because I FELT so great while doing it. It's a lot of preparation work to have your meals and snacks all ready though, which is why it was hard to stick to after I had my daughter. But I have hopes that if I do get GD (which I'm at a much higher risk for now that I've had it once already), I'll be able to stay on it long enough to at least get under 200lbs, which is actually my goal weight. I'm a size 14 at 200lbs, so if I stay a 14 for the rest of my life, I have no complaints...lol.

I'm really glad for this thread. Thanks so much for starting it!

· Registered
256 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObliviousAnnette View Post
So you lost the weight before you got pregnant? How do you turn off the lapband? That is interesting.

Yes, I lost down to 234 before I got pregnant. The plan was to leave the lapband as it was as long as I could get enough calories in, but I had a gall bladder attack that caused severe vomiting and I had the band unfilled.

The lap band is adjustable--it's basically a balloon with tubing that runs to a little port with a septum on my abdominal wall (the muscle layer) and the band can be tightened and loosed with a saline injection. Takes less than 20 seconds. I had all the saline taken out at the hospital, so the band fits loosely around my stomach instead of being tighter and causing restriction.

No plans to lose weight while pregnant, though I hope to continue losing once breastfeeding is well established.

· Registered
1,451 Posts
I'll join this "meeting". I'm CRM, I'm 5'8" and started this pregnancy at 170 and am now at 190 at 24 weeks. I like substantial more than "fluffy". As in "I'm a woman of substance".
With my dd, I think I went up to 220, but then again, that might have just been when I stopped weighing myself.

Jelinifer, I hear you on the IF stuff. I went through IF treatments to get pg with my dd as well, then jumped back into it as soon as we stopped breastfeeding to try to concieve again (which took almost 2 years). Our situation is also severe male factor, but I always felt guilty that I wasn't the "perfect" weight, in case that was affecting our chances of success. Pretty hard when infertility meds + associated guilt, depression and stress are piled on for such a long time. So happy we are both over here.

I promised myself I would exercise more with this pregnancy, but I am also trying to pay down debt and actually spend time with my dd between working, so I have not been as organized about exercise as I should be. Also my plan to do my prenatal yoga DVD after she goes to bed always gets thwarted cause I'm so tired!! Going to the gym to use the recumbant bike tomorrow though!

· Registered
273 Posts
lol. I feel more substantially fluffy most days. So I am pretty choked, my weight doesn't slow me down, but I am having issues with sciatica... pretty much sucks to stand or walk at all.
Really prevents packing or cooking the freezer meals I had planned on.

· Registered
664 Posts
Hi ladies! I'm 5'5 and 180 lbs at 9 weeks. I unfortunately gained about 20-30 lbs this past summer and fall alone, so I'm not comfortable at all with this weight. I would love to lose a little bit to just be more comfortable. Do any of you know if it's safe/possible to lose weight while pregnant? Just a little bit?

I know the official OB line is "no, don't diet while pregnant at all" but I've read in some other places that it can be ok to have a slow, modest weight loss during pregnancy if you're very overweight to begin with. I expect to gain more in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, but now I'm just sooo uncomfortable.

Any advice?

· Registered
10,826 Posts
I am 5'3" and 170 lbs.

I was 170 before this pregnancy and at 15 weeks I am still at 170 and eating VERY healthy so I think that is good news. I haven't been sick much, mainly just a 48 hour flu bug that I could have succumbed to not being pregnant..

I DO wish I could fit more exercise in my day. I go back to work on Monday, though and with 4 kiddos at home it is just really difficult to find the time. Most of my exercise I get as housework.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
as far as I know, amanpea, it really isn't a good idea to lose weight during pregnancy, especially not on purpose.

I lost 13 lbs by 8 weeks due to horrific nausea, and that was enough for my doctor to put me on zofran.

However, during my pregnancy with my daughter, I started off not being a healthy eater, but started eating healthy as soon as I got pregnant. By 5 months, I had only gained 2 lbs, due to the healthy lifestyle changes I had made (basically, all my weight went from arms, butt, and thighs, to belly/baby/uterus. The doctor was unconcerned at that, because I was eating sufficiently to nourish baby and myself (unlike this time around).

· Registered
10,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
as far as I know, amanpea, it really isn't a good idea to lose weight during pregnancy, especially not on purpose.
that used to be the thinking, but not so much anymore..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605185550.htm

I think the big concern is to eat HEALTHY and exercise during pregnancy.. and for some people just eating healthy and exercising is going to result in weight loss- pregnant or not.. I mean there are TONS of people that live off of peanut m&ms, soda, and doritos (my mother used to
) that if they gave that up and ate a more balanced diet would help their babies and may result in weight loss..

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
that used to be the thinking, but not so much anymore..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605185550.htm

I think the big concern is to eat HEALTHY and exercise during pregnancy.. and for some people just eating healthy and exercising is going to result in weight loss- pregnant or not.. I mean there are TONS of people that live off of peanut m&ms, soda, and doritos (my mother used to
) that if they gave that up and ate a more balanced diet would help their babies and may result in weight loss..
I guess what I meant, with the example of two of my pregnancies, is that a weight loss diet is not good during pregnancy. For some, like me in my first pregnancy, changing to a healthy pregnancy diet (NOT a weight loss diet) could result in weight loss or maintenance. But honestly, the pregnancies that are going to lose weight on a sufficient, healthy pregnancy diet started off a lot heavier than 180#.

· Premium Member
672 Posts
subbing.

I am a plus size momma. I am just under 5 foot 9 and 230 last time I weighed...a few weeks ago.
My 4th baby was 11 POUNDS (no GD), and my 5th pregnancy I was super diligant about daily exercise and balanced eating after the 1st trimester. I hope I can do that again. I gained weight these past 6 months b/c dh has had health issues/hip replacement surgeries..I re enrolled in online classes at a local college, full time... I definately earned the "freshman 15".
So. I KNOW what I need to do this pregnancy... I just hope I can do it. I am trying not to be too hard on myself during the first trimester. It is all about survival now, lol

21 - 40 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.