Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
I have lost weight while pg. And it is only because I begin eating healthier once I get that BFP.

· Registered
273 Posts
I think so far as weight loss and pregnancy are concerned, I would second that you shouldn't TRY to lose weight. You should exercise and eat right for you and your baby. If you are getting enough nutrients and calories and still manage to lose weight, bonus. If you maintain, still a bonus, because you can think of that as weight you don't have to lose later.
Ultimately, you are trying to be healthier and like pp pointed out, that can result in weight loss.

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm trying sooo hard to eat healthy, but nothing will stay down other than carbs..... With my daughter I was able to eat SO good and actually did loose weight, but I'm eating chips, potato, rice, ect... and I feel horrible about it....

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi there!

Another fluffy mama to be here. I don't do the number thing; my midwives haven't even weighed me in so I'm not even sure where I stand right now (though I've got a good idea), but I'm most certainly part of this little tribe.
I also am not doing anything special--not on purpose, anyway. I lost weight throughout the 1st trimester when I didn't even know that I was pregnant, then packed on what I lost in my belly during the 2nd, and I'm now back to a non-weight gain/losing weight pattern. But I know my body very well, and haven't been concerned about the lack of weight gain until now--and the only reason I'm concerned now is because I've been sick with a cold and haven't been able to eat as well as I'd like to over the last couple of weeks. I know the baby is developing well, but I'll still casually mention something at my next appointment, so I know for sure where I am and can force an adjustment in my diet if need be--whether I feel like eating or not!

What I've found most interesting is that my appetite and cravings have changed so much. I love wine and cognac, but had to give up ALL alcohol before I even realized I was pregnant because it was getting me so nauseous. I miss wine.
I crave fruits, veggies and yogurt whereas before I craved meat in all ways, shapes and forms. Usually the bad ways shapes and forms. And cheese. And potato chips! The protein I crave more now is in the form of beans. I guess for me, my diet has changed based on what I'm craving, but because I'm craving overall healthier things, I'm going with it and forcing myself to choose healthier when I know I should (like the hummus/veggie platter over the fried chicken fingers and fries I wanted yesterday. Phooey to babies making us eat healthier!)

Anyway, it's nice to know there are other fluffy, happy, healthy mamas to be out there! I honestly was so mired in the media/medical professional bias against fat (not to mention old--if 37 can be called old) people that I was surprised I even got pregnant, but I'm much more educated and soooooo over that now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amanpea View Post
Hi ladies! I'm 5'5 and 180 lbs at 9 weeks. I unfortunately gained about 20-30 lbs this past summer and fall alone, so I'm not comfortable at all with this weight. I would love to lose a little bit to just be more comfortable. Do any of you know if it's safe/possible to lose weight while pregnant? Just a little bit?

I know the official OB line is "no, don't diet while pregnant at all" but I've read in some other places that it can be ok to have a slow, modest weight loss during pregnancy if you're very overweight to begin with. I expect to gain more in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, but now I'm just sooo uncomfortable.

Any advice?
Amanpea, it sounds like your body is struggling with extra weight it's not used to--understandable! Had I gained a lot of weight with this pregnancy, I would have been tempted to lose weight as well because quite honestly, I'm at the max of my comfort zone. Well, past it, but I'm not about to try and lose a large amount of weight right now. That'll come in another couple of months, I'm sure.

Forget the OBs, when I was midwife-shopping, one of the consistent messages I got was that I WAS expected to gain weight, even at my rather significant size. They didn't encourage a lot of weight gain, but when I showed surprise, they broke it down for me:

* Baby: 7-8 pounds
* Placenta: 1-2 pounds
* Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
* Uterus: 2 pounds
* Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
* Maternal blood : 4 pounds
* Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
* Maternal fat and nutrient stores: 7 pounds

On the conservative side (cutting out fat gain), that's 22 pounds alone! Just because you have a bit more meat on your bones, doesn't mean that your baby will develop any differently from a woman who was at the "perfect" weight before pregnancy. You still need to develop a placenta, your uterus will grow, your blood volume will increase, and your baby will weigh a good 6-8 pounds (we hope!)...etc. And you will also need fat reserves for after the baby is born if you plan on breastfeeding.

Some women gain 80+ pounds during pregnancy, and some women lose weight. The most important thing to look at, IMO, is where you started to begin with. If you were underweight, it makes sense that you MIGHT pack on the pounds. If you're overweight, it makes sense that you MIGHT pack on a minimal amount or lose. But the most important thing is how much fat vs. muscle/bone density your body had to start off with, and then honestly take it from there. For example, my sister has been your size for most of her life (height and weight). She's very fit--she's just all muscle and bone, which is heavier than fat. Perhaps your weight gain was because your body was lacking necessary fat stores to begin with while you were trying to get pregnant? And in my own case, while I also have very heavy muscle and bone density, I don't delude myself into thinking I don't carry a lot of extra fat as well, thus the minimal weight loss.

I read the article another poster attached about it being ok for an obese woman to lose weight throughout pregnancy, and while in certain cases that may be true (ie, mine!), please keep in mind some very important things:

1) Based on the numbers you listed, you are, more than likely, not really obese. You may have experienced a recent weight gain, but I'm pretty sure I have at least 100 pounds on you, and you have at least 3 1/2 inches of height over me. I am more likely the type of person the article is addressing over someone like you who is, at most, borderline.

2) You might not gain as much fat as you think you will in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. You might gain baby weight only--and that will most likely be later in the third when the baby starts packing on pounds.

3) You have to be honest about your own body makeup and take the BMI test with a grain of salt. You are your own unique woman and need to trust that as long as you do your best to give your body what it needs as far as nutrients and exercise are concerned, it will give you and your baby what you both need. Even if you don't give your body what it needs, like a lot of us don't, it will, somehow, take what is needed for the baby. But you will still need to keep up your own strength so you can be the best mama you can be, and cutting (healthy) calories out will weaken you in the long-term. There have been times when I haven't eaten enough during this pregnancy when I felt truly sick and weak, and so I force myself to eat unless I'm absolutely certain I'm just going to vomit it all back up. Even then, I'll sometimes eat anyway and try to lay very still so I don't lose nutrients. It's better than feeling like I'm on the verge of passing out.

4) There is a huge bias against fat in this country that has become so extreme people do unhealthy things to rid themselves of it and medical professionals often (illogically) suggest things that may not be best ideas based on "studies" that can have their own bias to begin with. And dieting while pregnant / avoiding ALL weight gain while pregnant may not be the best idea, whatever your size. Weight gain will vary from one woman to another, based on their own body makeup. The most important thing the article said, IMO, is that a larger study is necessary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to forget the "fat" aspect of it all and just focus on being healthy. Give yourself realistic limits--like exercising 3 times a week (a simple walk will do), eating organic fruits when you crave sweets rather than sugary carbs, and replacing the white stuff with whole grains where you can. Health foods and exercise will help your body deal with the extra poundage. I've been craving a lot of carbs during this pregnancy, and while I'm not usually a sweets person, I've been baking muffins and cakes with whole grain pastry flour (yummy, because it makes things chewier and more filling/satisfying) and a third or less of the sugar, and making sure to put fruit in. Then I freeze it in single-serving sizes. When I want a sweet snack, I pick up an orange or apple first. If I still want a piece of cake and haven't gorged on fried foods and bads carbs all day, I eat a piece of cake. No big deal. I know I've done my best and depriving myself isn't going to get me anywhere, so if I want a cookie or muffin or a piece of cake, I have one, without regret. Be gentle with yourself, and honest with yourself, and balanced with your lifestyle, and know that your body will work itself back into shape once your prescious one is here!

I'm just realizing that I'm very wordy with my posts. Sorry--I need to work on that!

· Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Happy to find this litte group
I'm very newly pregnant, just 4 weeks, AF due tomorrow!! I'm a size 14 or 16 depending on the clothes, weighing about 190 at 5'7" (why is it I can talk about sex, and cervical mucus on the TTC boards but stating my weight just makes me cringe??). I started my other two pregnancies at about 165, and gained 55 with DS (second), and 65 with DD (first). In both cases, I had had big sudden (unhealthy) weigh losses prior to the pregnancies, for DD because of our wedding, and for DS because I donated a kidney to my Dad and got pregnant (on accident) 8 weeks later.

I fully intended all summer and fall to really loose some extra weight, as we starting TTC in July. I just didn't get into the swing of things until November, following a chemical pregnancy in October. I realized I wanted to FEEL better, know that I had tried harder to be healthy before we were pregnant again. I have been eating well, and exercising in the last two months and have lost about 7lbs, at an appropriate 1lb a week or so pace. I've been craving fruits and veggies, and feel like I'm starting well this time. My goal is limit first trimester weight gain, and continue to eat well and exercise. I'm going to really focus on eating smaller portions more frequently as the m/s gets going in the next few weeks. I don't get sick when I'm not hungry, which means I eat all the time, and I've gained 20+ lbs in both of my first trimesters. Anyway, glad to meet all of you other fluffy expecting Mama's!

· Registered
664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilyoftheincas13 View Post
I'm just realizing that I'm very wordy with my posts. Sorry--I need to work on that!
No, please don't work on anything!
Thank you for the very thoughtful reply to my post.

· Registered
273 Posts
I was told today that I looked "HUGE!" Following a comment that I had popped.... But all I can think about is, is she just talking about my belly...
This was at church fwiw. BUT, baby boy was wiggling the whole time so I just concentrated on playing tag with him.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilyoftheincas13 View Post
Dude! You are so awesome! I rarely read the super long posts (short attention span + toddler poking at me) but this was super informative and interesting. Thanks for all that you said.

That said! Hi, I'm Krissy. I'm chunky these days--5'5" and about 195. I started off my first pregnancy 15 lbs lighter but I think the reason I am heavier this time is I've had two miscarriages in the six months before getting pregnant this time. I started gaining much faster with both of those pregnancies than I did with my daughter. This time I am back to feeling miserable and food averse so I don't think I'll have the rapid gain. I'm not actually real worried about my weight right now. I'm still nursing and I've had a miserable time losing weight while nursing. I don't have too much trouble dropping my weight when I'm not nursing so I kind of think that I will continue to be chunky until Little TBD decides he/she is done with milk.
That's cool with me.

· Registered
88 Posts
I started my pregnancy overweight. I was trying to lose weight (unsuccessfully) before I got pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped trying to do anything with my weight right away! I've always eaten moderately healthy, and I haven't changed my diet much during pregnancy (except for the first trimester
). I've had an easy, healthy pregnancy. My only complication has been slight anemia. My midwife says my weight is of no concern.

· Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Im starting my pregnancy overweight... by about 50 pounds or so. Last I checked I was around 220... my doctor said she would prefer me not to be over 170. But she wont complain when she finds out Im pregnant!

· Registered
374 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Im starting my pregnancy overweight... by about 50 pounds or so. Last I checked I was around 220... my doctor said she would prefer me not to be over 170. But she wont complain when she finds out Im pregnant!
Holy Crap - congrats Mae

· Registered
273 Posts
BUMPZ-A-DO!

How is everyone doing!?

I am in week 39 and feeling totally BLAH. My poor husband is as they say getting whip lash from my mood swings.
My daughter is being saved by some of my good friends who come over to hang out and interact with her while I unpack from our move.

· Registered
256 Posts
Well, I'm at 21 weeks and definitely showing. I haven't managed to get a belly pic yet, I should really do that soon!

I started at 234 and weigh anywhere from 239-243 in the mornings. Amazing to me how much the scale can fluctuate!

I had a bit of a scare yesterday, thought I was starting to have another gall bladder attack. That's enough to scare me back to being a bit more careful with what I eat!

I've managed to keep eating fairly well and was doing a great job of exercising until my toddler and I collided (he on his bike, me on foot) and I've had to spend the better part of a week recovering from a jarring (though not too damaging) fall. I'm looking forward to getting back out walking again!

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Just found this thread! Yippeee!
I'm Emma...
#1 pg, start weight 270lbs. end weight 290lbs
no high bp, no GD, no complications at all. natural 4 hr labor!

This pg start weight 220lbs. Current weight @ 18 wks 226lbs

I swear I lost 50lbs post partum just from breastfeeding and not drinking as much alcohol!
We moved countries so I've got a new OB and I made sure I mentioned my weightloss before she could discuss how fat I am!
I've got a hard bump above my navel where my organs have been pushed up but below is soft and squidgy...yuk!
Can't wait till it's a lovely big round bump

I'm hoping for another big pp loss this time (fingers crossed). I'll try harder at it once breastfeeding is well established. I really want to get down to 180 or so but I don't know if I can as I haven't been that light since high school!

Maternity clothes are a problem because my last pg, I was in Texas and 50 lbs heavier. So, nothing fits and it's all too summery anyway!!

· Registered
626 Posts
I just found this thread too. I have struggled with my weight since I was a teen. I lost a lot of weight when I was 17 and gained it all back and then some in college. By the time we conceived DS via IVF in 2002 I was 220 pounds, oh and I am 5ft4, I weighed, approx 241.75 when I delivered him (last weight check was 2 weeks before delivery and I had been consistenly losing weight in the weeks before he was born) I had GD, was on insulin, he was born at 38w5d at 7lb4ounces. Not a big baby at all. and I only gained like 21 pounds I don't think that's too bad at all!

This time I had just went from 229 to about 203 and then found out I was pregnant with a miracle baby in december, I got down to 196 on my scale during the first 7 weeks, but according to my Dr scale at the first appt at 8 weeks I was 202, and at my 2nd appointment I was 204, but they used 2 different scales and I am not sure that i actually gained 2 pounds, we will see.

they are monitoring me closely (my endocrinologist is - i have PCOS and insulin resistance) for Gestational Diabetes and will do my first GTT next week, but in monitoring my sugars I am good so far. I hope that by starting this pregnancy out almost 20 pounds lighter that I will avoid GD but who knows.

My OB was happy enough with my weight, since the last time I was in her office I was 233 so she sees what I had as a significant loss so no unkind words about my weight

Anyway it's good to know I am in good company of other "fluffy" mama's

· Registered
99 Posts
I'm 5'5", prepregnancy weight was 217. I'm now 220 @ 17w.

This is my 5th pregnancy/baby... and I've been overweight with all my babies. Except that with my 1st, I didn't start out that way. I started @ 120 and gained something like 65 pounds!

So-- I'm kinda used to the comments like, "You look like you're ready to pop!" when I'm only 5 months pregnant!

My midwife doesn't seem worried about my weight. My BP is on the low end of normal (as it has always been). No GD. No Pre-e.

I just get tired alot lately. Especially having to carry 13 month-old, or picking up after him, etc. But other than that, I feel great.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Hi!

I'm 5'3 198lbs as of this morning. I did weigh 195 last week, but a couple days after BFP, the water weight settled in. In both of my previous pregnancies I've gained about 5 lbs a couple days after BFP. Dunno why, but it's what my body does.

Last pregnancy I started at 190 and gained to 228. Had no GD, but I did develop pre-e at 36 weeks. Had ds through a c/s after 22 hrs of badly mismanaged labor at the hospital.

I lost down to 207 after his birth and stalled there for YEARS. Started losing weight last March, doing great, then my aunt died. Lost focus for a few months, restarted in November. Got down to 194.5. Then got my BFP. So much for THAT!

This time around, I'd like to limit my gain to 10-15 lbs. With ds, I was so huge I felt uncomfortable--nothing fit, I felt HUGE and my already big boobs were just gigantic. I'm also on a low carb 'diet'/way of eating this time around. While I don't have diabetes, I have very responsive insulin, so I get hypoglycemic easily. Once I cut down on carbs, no more 'shakes'. I also have tons more energy!

Ami

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.