Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used hypnobabies during my home waterbirth with our second son and I LOVED it! So I'm using it again this birth. I plan to start listening and practicing this week. Is anyone else using hypnobabies?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I used Hypnobabies to prepare for both my births so far and I will again this time, though I'm late getting started. I loved it too! Much to my surprise, I found the woman's voice really annoying during labour so I had to turn it off but I think just listening for the months ahead really helped. I had two great births and don't remember any pain, exhaustion or panic (though my mom says the first looked terribly gruelling, and it was very long, I didn't experience it that way) and I'm sure hypnobabies had a lot to do with it. I definitely recommend it!

When I was pregnant with DS2, I actually contacted the Hypnobabies people to see if I could buy just the background music tracks to listen to during birth. Unfortunately they can't sell it that way.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have had two hypnobabies births so far and have been listening to my affirmations tracks for the last couple of months and sporadically listening to deepening and hypnotic childbirth tracks. My bubble of peace is so important for me as a pregnant hospital birth worker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm really interested in hypnobabies but not sure how it works....do I have to find someone that teaches it? or can I buy cds online? any information about it would be greatly appreciated! I've heard a lot of great things about it

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really interested in hypnobabies but not sure how it works....do I have to find someone that teaches it? or can I buy cds online? any information about it would be greatly appreciated! I've heard a lot of great things about it
The closest Hypnobabies class to me is about 1 1/2 hours away, so not really practical for me to attend! They have a home study option. It's $155.00 if I remember right. For DS2 I borrowed the materials from someone. This time I decided that I love the material so much that I want my own copy, so I bought it! It's worth EVERY PENNY!!!! Also, there is a book out there called Hypnobirthing, but my understanding is that it is NOT a full program like Hypnobabies and I'm not sure that it would be effective in the way that Hypnobabies is.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I officially started yesterday and so far I'm 2/2 for nodding off during my hypnobabies practice! Oops! I'm not worried because I still have a lot of time to refresh my mind and body on how to do this. But I've got the deep deep relaxation part down anyways! :wink:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The nice thing about hypnobabies is that your inner mind is always listening even if you are asleep or think you are asleep. I dozed off every time during my practice before my first hypnobabies birth and was surprised in labor that I was using techniques I didn't even consciously know I had practiced!! (I "painted" mental anesthesia on my uterus which was so helpful in labor and didn't even know it was a hypnobabies suggestion until afterward!). I had a great and mostly comfortable natural birth even though I slept through my practice every time.

One thing that I found really cool-- hypnobabies always says that in emergency situations, you will immediately awaken and be completely aware. Well, I had fallen asleep to hypnobabies practice at 2:15am and at 2:30, I woke up completely alert, calm, and aware to discover a burglar in our house! (True and long story!). I was able to confront the burglar and call 911 and everything totally awake and more calm than I would have been otherwise. (I was 39 weeks pregnant!).

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
DDC crashing (clicked the wrong month lol). I got the self study course (sign up for the newsletter first for a discount or google search for a discount) & there is a certified practitioner in my area that does an option for self study people. A few hours with her after you've done the program to ask questions, practice, etc. So I'll be doing that as well.

I forgot to listen to it last night. The first night within the first few minutes of starting I got really twitchy & itchy. It was awful (and not uncommon for me at night anyway). Hoping that doesn't continue!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DDC crashing (clicked the wrong month lol). I got the self study course (sign up for the newsletter first for a discount or google search for a discount) & there is a certified practitioner in my area that does an option for self study people. A few hours with her after you've done the program to ask questions, practice, etc. So I'll be doing that as well.

I forgot to listen to it last night. The first night within the first few minutes of starting I got really twitchy & itchy. It was awful (and not uncommon for me at night anyway). Hoping that doesn't continue!
Hi Neonalee. Oh man - wish I'd known about the discount before I'd bought mine. Oh well! When I used hypnobabies the last time, towards the end I had a touch of restless leg syndrome. Since you've just started, this might be Greek to you. But at some point you'll learn how to use a switch to get yourself into deep relaxation. When you're switch is off, you can't move. So if you need to move, you turn your switch back on. There were practices towards the end where I was literally flipping my switch every 30 seconds or less. I looked around and I think it was somewhere on the Hypnobabies site that I learned that this can be common for some women and it doesn't affect the outcome at all. It totally did NOT affect my outcome at all! I had a lovely and awesome hypnobabies birth despite all of my fidgeting!

Reactions: neonalee

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
@swimming-duck Thank you for that reassurance! Which reminds me, since I'm working from home right this minute, I should go listen before my son gets home!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nice thing about hypnobabies is that your inner mind is always listening even if you are asleep or think you are asleep. I dozed off every time during my practice before my first hypnobabies birth and was surprised in labor that I was using techniques I didn't even consciously know I had practiced!! (I "painted" mental anesthesia on my uterus which was so helpful in labor and didn't even know it was a hypnobabies suggestion until afterward!). I had a great and mostly comfortable natural birth even though I slept through my practice every time.

One thing that I found really cool-- hypnobabies always says that in emergency situations, you will immediately awaken and be completely aware. Well, I had fallen asleep to hypnobabies practice at 2:15am and at 2:30, I woke up completely alert, calm, and aware to discover a burglar in our house! (True and long story!). I was able to confront the burglar and call 911 and everything totally awake and more calm than I would have been otherwise. (I was 39 weeks pregnant!).
I agree. It is good to know! I fell asleep a lot my first time around and still did great. I did try to consciously listen to tracks though if I couldn't stay awake for them. I remember that suggestion being in the book so that your conscious mind can hear the cues as well.

Wow - that is nuts about the burglar and crazy scary! It's amazing though how you reacted. Your subconscious mind must have known that you needed to wake up and deal with that! It's things like that that make me want a dog again. Our last one passed away in February and I feel much safer with a dog in the house!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On another note, I was sooo frikkin' irritated today. I usually do my hypnobabies practice when daycare kiddos go down for nap. Well, my toddler decided that he'd climb out of his pack'n' play over and over and over again instead of go to sleep. I FINALLY got him settled and had just enough time to do my hypnobabies practice before the little daycare baby who sleeps during that time would be picked up. So I get settled in and get about halfway through it and there he goes again and I go into the daycare room and he's running all over the place, messing with the piano, etc...Ugh! He finally went to sleep nearly 2 and 1/2 hours after naptime started. But by then my three year old was awake. There went my window. My husband's currently working two jobs and on the days he has both, which is today, we don't see him all day. So it's not an option for him to watch the kiddos so I can do my practice. I can do it after I put the kiddos to bed, but then I won't have time for both my practice and affirmations. So I think I'll just do my affirmations and call it a night and try again tomorrow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 27 weeks pregnant due 1/7/15. I have time to practice it, but I'm having such a hard time concentrating on it:/ I'm worried it won't work because I can't seem to get into the groove. Does anyone have any advice? I'm having a home birth if that matters.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 27 weeks pregnant due 1/7/15. I have time to practice it, but I'm having such a hard time concentrating on it:/ I'm worried it won't work because I can't seem to get into the groove. Does anyone have any advice? I'm having a home birth if that matters.
I've done it before, but this time around I'm having a harder time getting into it. I'm not sure why! My advice is regardless of how you respond to each individual practice, just KEEP doing them, no matter what. Also, I wasn't sure about some of the language of it when I started, ie birthing time instead of labor, etc...But I decided to commit to it all the way and began using hypnobabies terms whenever I referred to birthing with anyone. That helped me to get into the hypnobabies mindset. And I had a lovely birth I believe - it's in our previous birth story thread on here somewhere if you care to take a look!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used it last time, but have also been having a hard time getting into it this time. Not sure why either because I loved listening to the CDs last pregnancy. It's not too late, if I remember correctly the CDs, other than the affirmations, are for 6 weeks.

I would recommend it to anyone! I especially love reading all the positive birth stories they have available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts