Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always known that it was a possibility...but I have been doing a ton of research on the subject recently and I know this is my problem. I think that if I can get a handle on it, it might be the answer to most of my health problems.

Anxiety (panic attacks)
Headaches
Insomnia
Fatigue
Sugar Cravings

All of these are major symptoms of Hypoglycemia and are often overlooked by physicians and many patients are diagnosed with GAD or depression and given anti depressants when the key may just be better nutrition.

I could go have a grueling 6 hour glucose test to test my levels but I dont really want to go through that so I am going to start a whole new way of eating and see if my symptoms go away....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how you are treating it....

· Premium Member
41,186 Posts
I was on a hypoglycemic diet several years ago while I was active in several sports.

the diet is very restrictive but I felt FANTASTIC (well..I was also in good shape) while I was on it.

The diet basically means NO sugar. No white flour, no normal white pasta only veggie pasta, no sugar in any sauces or peanut butter you might buy no fruit. You have to eat a TON of vegetables.

but you can eat all the avacados you want.

Personally I would go ahead and do the test, it is better IMO to have definative answers than to go through the trouble of changing so much then it actually being something else a misdiagnoses can be serious and really throw you off track for awhile.

· Registered
688 Posts
My symptoms have improved greatly! I follow a South Beach like diet. I avoid white flour, white rice, white sugar. I do brown rice, whole wheat and grains. I limit sweets in general...very hard for me! I never, ever have pancakes for breakfast. (But I occasionally sneak one in the afternoon!) And I include protein with each meal.

And there's supplements that can help, too. I think Shaklee makes something to control blood sugar. Chromium helps...and cinnamon. I just read that recently.

Good luck...hypoglycemia can improve!

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Interesting this is on here today, I have wondered for a few years if I might be hypoglycemic. Why did you all suspect that's what it was? What were your symptoms? Did you ever black out/faint?

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HRC121799- There are so many symptoms and so often like I said in my OP they are misdiagnosed.

I have gotten to the point of blacking out and almost fainting before...and it has always been when I skipped breakfast! In all of the research I have done the MOST important is eating a high protien breakfast. So I am going to try it for awhile and see how I feel....

I found a good website the other day..I will try to post the link. It has a pretty good test to see if you are hypoglycemic or not.

· Registered
577 Posts
I'm hypoglycemic too. I do pretty well when I stay away from bread.

That site recommends a low-fat diet in addition to eating more protein. More protein is obviously essential when having low blood sugar but eating it with minimal fat (like lean cuts and chicken without skin) is pretty dangerous in my opinion. Proteins aren't digested well if not eaten with the fat that naturally comes with it. Also, I find that a moderate amount of fat keeps me from getting hungry faster and elminates shaking. Better to get your energy from fat rather than carbs.

· Premium Member
41,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherKatrina

Chromium helps...and cinnamon. I just read that recently.

Chromium does help, I said Avacados but didn't say why...sorry...Avacados contain chromium as do Broccoli, Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, Almonds, Mangoes, Mushrooms, Nuts, Oysters, and Beef.

· Registered
5,997 Posts
I think this might be going on with me. I kind of suspected this while preggo and now lil' man is 5 mo. old my body seems to be very sensitive to junk. I crave sugar like crazy, absolutely have to have it and eat until it makes me sick- screws w/ my blood sugar than I crave food the whole rest of the day and cannot stop eating. I get these earth shattering headaches and have been dizzy - motion sick a lot lately.

It is a running joke that I (1) cannot make decisions and (2) do not do well under pressure- I had no idea this was related to blood sugar. The other day I was popping corn on the stove and the lid wasn't fitting right so oil was going everywhere, so what did I do, put the pan in the floor and stood there freaking out, dh asked me 3 times if I needed help but all I could do was stand there, I just couldn't think- now there is a melted spot in our linoleum. It is like my brain is in slow motion.

I started eating really well after I had lil' man for his and my sake, and I felt so much better. But with the holidays I have not been eating well.

I don't know if I could take the test though since I am nursing? The one I took for pregnancy was bad enough.

The diet I do well on is high protein, but also some fat as well. I feel much better when I get a moderate amount of fat.

Oh, I took the test and scored a 74.

thanks for the info,
amanda

· Registered
2,823 Posts
I took that quiz and got a 70. Wow. I have had an EKG and blood test before (both fine at the time,which was the day after I had blacked out that time, I only went to the dr because my foot hurt..), but not the testing throughout the day. The dr sent me home with the kit to do it and I could never bring myself to prick myself to do it. So I didn't. And got rid of the kit. That was a few years ago (I had blacked out and hurt my foot when I crashed into the toilet). I blacked out on Christmas morning, that's why I'm re-visiting all of this.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also took the glucose tolerance test...the long 5 hour one...while pg.

which is why I am hesitant about taking the test...that one made me feel like I was going to die

The difference is they are looking for elevations in your blood sugar not drops...also alot of women experience higher than normal blood sugar while pg and then it goes back to normal after birth....so I wouldnt bank on anything while pg.

Good question about nursing...I am still nursing as well.

I guess if anything, it is good to eat this way for nursing mamas too.

I scored a 95...yikes!!!

· Registered
577 Posts
I've had my blood sugar tested numerous times and no doctor has ever told me my blood sugar is abnormal. I know for a fact though that it IS out of whack. You could also have a test done to check your adrenals, but most tests are not reliable. There's a really good book called Adrenal Fatigue that explains everything about testing, symptoms etc.
Besides feeding the adrenals when having hypoglycemia, it's very important to check into the health of the liver. A healthily functioning liver processes and breaks down hormones in the body. If your liver is not in shape, hormones keep circulating in the body, making you sick.
Sleep is number one, and plenty of rest throughout the day. There's a pretty good program in the book mentiones above. During sleep, your hormones are being recharged.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isnt it amazing how so many symptoms can mean so many problems?

I have narrowed mine down to hypoglygemia but dont rule out other suggestions.

I went on the yeast connection...scored a 6. I have only had one yeast infection in my life. Thank goodness!

I have been doing this diet for a week now and havent had any problems...except the insomnia is still there but that caould be because of a all the stress I am under right now....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.